Fitness, Running and Nutrition Forum  

Go Back   Fitness, Running and Nutrition Forum > AthleticRunner > Beginners Corner
Register FAQ VB Image Host Auctions Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners Corner A place for all the new runners to get support and advice. No question is too dumb. More advanced runners are encouraged to help out with advice.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
sirderyk
Unheard

My Photos: ()
sirderyk is an unknown quantity at this point
Running to lose weight / tone up

Hey guys, my name's Deryk and I'm new to this forum. I hope to learn many things about running, since I am just starting back up again. With that being said, I have a question. I'm not overweight, but i do have a little gut and recently noticed some man boobage starting to happen. I've been wanting to start running again but I haven't really had much motivation to start until now. I was wondering if there is any certain way I should run to reduce fat around the body? Should I just run for 20-30 minutes at a good pace or set distance goals? Right now I can run 1.5 miles before I start feeling really tired, and could probably make 2 miles. I've also been doing pullups, pushups, crunches, and I don't know what they're called but its when you hang from a pull up bar and bring your knees to your chest, every night for the past week. Any suggestions about good running or home exercises would be greatly appreciated.
sirderyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
iRUNindy

iRUNindy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to iRUNindy
Re: Running to lose weight / tone up

If you're running 2 miles that's probably about 350 calories. So figure that times how many every times you run a week. Chances are over a 1,000 calories. So if you watch your diet in addition you should start to trim up especially if you're doing weight training.
iRUNindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:32 AM   #3
shegodemona
Shy

shegodemona is an unknown quantity at this point

try running twice a day and dont feel bad about taking walk breaks and drinking sips of cold water. The goal is to keep your metabolism in burn mode for as long as possible.
shegodemona is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
shane
Modest

shane is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Running to lose weight / tone up

Well Running is the best thing when you want to lose your weight and reduce the cholesterol of your body , but it required consistency and regularity . it also required a balance diet as well..........
shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
Beverly Stayart
Learner

Beverly Stayart is an unknown quantity at this point

Consistency and not giving up are the most important things. You sound as if you are doing fine. Just keep at it.
Beverly Stayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
JerryCorbet
Unheard

JerryCorbet is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are not over weighted then just follow some diet rules but very strictly.And if you are over weighted then must prefer any of the body contouring technique.
JerryCorbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #7
Bennuendo
Learner

Bennuendo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirderyk View Post
Hey guys, my name's Deryk and I'm new to this forum. I hope to learn many things about running, since I am just starting back up again. With that being said, I have a question. I'm not overweight, but i do have a little gut and recently noticed some man boobage starting to happen. I've been wanting to start running again but I haven't really had much motivation to start until now. I was wondering if there is any certain way I should run to reduce fat around the body? Should I just run for 20-30 minutes at a good pace or set distance goals? Right now I can run 1.5 miles before I start feeling really tired, and could probably make 2 miles. I've also been doing pullups, pushups, crunches, and I don't know what they're called but its when you hang from a pull up bar and bring your knees to your chest, every night for the past week. Any suggestions about good running or home exercises would be greatly appreciated.
RUN INTERVALS! They burn fat better than any steady state running will do. You can run intervals based on time or distance.. run so far, walk a little, then run again.. back and forth.. Intervals will work you harder and in turn you'll burn more calories during your exercise and even after you stop exercising.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
koizumi

koizumi is an unknown quantity at this point

running every day will help you get used to it.. taking a break in between will help you keep up with the pace..
Old 09-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
deleonkarina
Shy

deleonkarina is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I might start running twice a day. I'm a newbie to running myself, and I also want to loose weight. But I also notice that when I run, I feel more hungry through out the day. Is that just me? Or am I craving more caloric energy?
deleonkarina is offline   Reply With Quote