Fitness, Running and Nutrition Forum  

Go Back   Fitness, Running and Nutrition Forum > AthleticRunner > Injuries
Register FAQ VB Image Host Auctions Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Have an injury and need some support? Wondering what your injury could be but not sure? Talk about any running related injuries in here.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
runnergirl75
Unheard

My Photos: ()
runnergirl75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sharp shooting knee pain...

Hello! I am new to this forum - I am hoping someone on here has either experienced what I am experiencing or can help me to figure out what it is. First, a little background... I have been running consistently for about 10 years now. In those 10 years, I have run 11 marathons and 2 ultra marathons plus numerous half marathons, 10Ks and 5Ks. I have really cut back my racing in the last 2 years but I did just complete another marathon at the end of November - my first marathon in over 2 years. On a normal basis, I usually keep my mileage around 20-30 miles/week.

Now to the issue....for the last few weeks, I have been experiencing a sharp shooting pain in my left knee about 1 mile into my run. It happens almost like clockwork anywhere from 1 to 1.25 miles into my run. I may feel it once or I may feel it a few times before it disappears completely and I am able to finish my run pain free. The pain is excruciating but it is also instant - it is like a sharp flash of pain around the outside of my knee cap. If I am on the treadmill, it causes me to grab the bar to keep me from falling. If I am outside, I usually have to take all of the pressure off of that leg or stop for a second then am able to keep going. I also sometimes feel the pain when I am not running, like when I go to sit down or walk up stairs.

Has anyone else ever experienced this or know what it may be?

Thanks!!
runnergirl75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
egorace
Shy

egorace is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sharp shooting knee pain...

May be a nerve.

If you recently had an injury like i have it could be meniscus tear.

The clockwork thing is indeed strange.

I would just go to a doctor

Really
Old 01-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
tmacbham86

tmacbham86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by egorace View Post

I would just go to a doctor

Really
best advice!
tmacbham86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
Running PT
Shy

Running PT is an unknown quantity at this point

MRI is definitely needed.
I am a physical therapist, www.passmroept.com

If you want to discuss this further, join the forum on my site and I will help guide you...

C U there,
J
Running PT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
runningforlife
Unheard

runningforlife is an unknown quantity at this point

I just joined this forum. I have been running for about a year. I have been reading so much on injuries because I have had bad knees since I started running. I was on runners world forum and someone there told me about a book called The Pain Free Runner. So I purchased it and WOW I learned how to really treat myself. I love forums you learn so much. I just want to tell everyone that I just got an email that the book is HALF OFF. If you don't want to have knee, or any other problems, go to www.thepainfreerunner and get your copy. It is worth so much more then $9.97.
runningforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:44 AM   #6
al!n
Unheard

al!n is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello.I am 21 years old ,and I run about half an hour ,5 days a week at a slow pace ,about 6-7 km.The other 2 days of the week I play tennis and football(soccer).My only goal is to stay fit so I can play tennis and football for as long as possible.Do you think I run too much ?Should I expect knee damage in my 30's ?I don't want to end up with knee surgery.

P.S.I run on a rugby pitch,I never run on asphalt.During the winter I run at the gym on a treadmill.
al!n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #7
ross88guy
Learner

ross88guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergirl75 View Post
Hello! I am new to this forum - I am hoping someone on here has either experienced what I am experiencing or can help me to figure out what it is. First, a little background... I have been running consistently for about 10 years now. In those 10 years, I have run 11 marathons and 2 ultra marathons plus numerous half marathons, 10Ks and 5Ks. I have really cut back my racing in the last 2 years but I did just complete another marathon at the end of November - my first marathon in over 2 years. On a normal basis, I usually keep my mileage around 20-30 miles/week.

Now to the issue....for the last few weeks, I have been experiencing a sharp shooting pain in my left knee about 1 mile into my run. It happens almost like clockwork anywhere from 1 to 1.25 miles into my run. I may feel it once or I may feel it a few times before it disappears completely and I am able to finish my run pain free. The pain is excruciating but it is also instant - it is like a sharp flash of pain around the outside of my knee cap. If I am on the treadmill, it causes me to grab the bar to keep me from falling. If I am outside, I usually have to take all of the pressure off of that leg or stop for a second then am able to keep going. I also sometimes feel the pain when I am not running, like when I go to sit down or walk up stairs.

Thanks!!
Could it be that you have irritated a tendon in your knee? This would explain the clock work aspect of the pain as the irritation would slowly build up until you reached your threshold at about the 1.25mile mark. The irritation could result in swelling which is where the pain comes from?

Just a theory sorry!

Goals:
Sub 38min 10k
Blog - Kayano 17 Review
ross88guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
shane
Modest

shane is an unknown quantity at this point

In alignment to get the right remedy, it is significant to confer a medical practitioner and get an unquestionable diagnosis of the origin and severity of your injury. Torn vs. Damaged Ligament There is a distinction between a tattered or impaired ligament. A tattered ligament will not fix itself but a impaired ligament, which is often the case for pointed firing knee agony, can be repaired...................
.................................................. ...........................
testosterone therapy
shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
koizumi

koizumi is an unknown quantity at this point

try consulting a physical therapist.. i also agree with the post above that it might be a meniscus tear as the pain you described is almost the same as the pain of the said condition..
Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
johnl
Unheard

johnl is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergirl75 View Post

Thanks!!
johnl is offline   Reply With Quote