Fitness, Running and Nutrition Forum  

Go Back   Fitness, Running and Nutrition Forum > AthleticRunner > Nutrition
Register FAQ VB Image Host Auctions Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Talk about anything from the best drinks before a race to the food you should be eating everyday to maintain a healthy runner's diet.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
Peace_Hope
Administrator

My Photos: ()
Peace_Hope is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Peace_Hope Send a message via AIM to Peace_Hope Send a message via MSN to Peace_Hope Send a message via Yahoo to Peace_Hope
Best foods after being sick

I am just coming back after being sick for 1 week+ and have some very big track meets coming up within the next week and need to get healthy again, and get the energy in my body to allow me to run at my max.

I need ideas on certain foods to eat, and different drinks that will help keep me healthy and allow me to get my leg energy and drive back for running.

Thanks for your help.
Peace_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2006, 11:33 PM   #2
naidu
Learner

naidu is on a distinguished road
I suggest you to eat more of vegetables and fruits. Which are very easy to digest and you also get required calories. Drink milkshakes made of dry fruits which will give you instant energy.
naidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
Peace_Hope
Administrator

Peace_Hope is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Peace_Hope Send a message via AIM to Peace_Hope Send a message via MSN to Peace_Hope Send a message via Yahoo to Peace_Hope
hmm, milkshakes sound good, got any special recipes?
Peace_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2006, 05:47 AM   #4
naidu
Learner

Run some salt free nut like almonds, cashew, pistachio in mixer then add any seasonal fruits again run it for a while and finally add cold milk and run the mixer again. I usually drink all juices with out sugar. If you’re looking for more calories add a dash of honey to it.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:38 AM   #5
CoachLevi
Competent

CoachLevi is on a distinguished road
I make banana smoothies all the time. Cut up some bananas and put them in the freezer. Then just put the frozen bananas and some milk in the blender, blend it, and it's all set!

And along with fruits and vegetables, I would recommend whole wheat toast and cereal like Cheerios. Should give you good energy without upsetting your stomach.
CoachLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:16 PM   #6
moor2k6
Amateur

moor2k6 is on a distinguished road
Hi, I was wondering what type of power bars and/or power gels work best. By this I mean the brand of the bar/gel. Thank you for taking the time to help me!
moor2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
CoachLevi
Competent

CoachLevi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by moor2k6
Hi, I was wondering what type of power bars and/or power gels work best. By this I mean the brand of the bar/gel. Thank you for taking the time to help me!
The ones that give you energy and don't upset your stomach
CoachLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:03 AM   #8
naidu
Learner

Its better to eat handful of any nuts for instant energy, instead of eating bars and gels. Because these products contains a lots of artificial flavors and colors , which is not good for health.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:31 PM   #9
moor2k6
Amateur

moor2k6 is on a distinguished road
How do energy gels work?
Fat and carbohydrates are the two best sources of energy found in the human body. Fat is the largest source, while carbohydrate stores lag behind significantly. Carbohydrates, however, provide the best and most readily-available source of energy for the body during exercise.
Energy gels can benefit competitive athletes, recreational athletes, diabetics and anyone else looking for a quick source of energy. They are ideal for sports like triathlons, running, cycling, swimming, tennis, soccer, football….the list goes on and on. In order to gain the performance advantage of carbohydrates, it is recommended that 30-60 grams be consumed per hour during physical activity. This translates into one to two servings of energy gels during each hour of exercise.
For first time gel users, determining the optimal timing and amount of energy gel to take can be confusing. As a general rule, it is recommended the following ‘dose schedule' be used as a guide.
For activity lasting less than two hours:
  • Consume one energy gel 30-60 minutes prior to the start of the activity
    Take a second energy gel 45-60 minutes into the activity (during half time of the soccer match, at the six to eight mile mark of the half marathon, etc)
moor2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:48 PM   #10
imbiz06
Learner

imbiz06 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Best foods after being sick

I think friut and juice wil be better.
imbiz06 is offline   Reply With Quote