Fitness, Running and Nutrition Forum  

Old 03-01-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
chele32
Unheard

: ()
chele32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Marathon Help needed

In my last marathon that I ran, I hit the wall around mile 22 and struggled to cross the finish line. About 6 feet from the finish line my right hamstring gave out and I fell. I could hardly get up to finish the race. I believe my fueling was all off. I think I consumed too much water and too much gatoerade during the race. Does anyone know what I did wrong? Were my electrolytes too low??

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
subfifty
Beginner

: ()
subfifty is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Marathon Help needed

Maybe it was a muscular compensation issue? If you are compensating in your stride for a muscular weakness that you have, the body can only hold that for so long. Then, once the body begins to fatigue, you can "hit the wall" I would look into doing some additional exercises to your running that might help your body run with a more efficient stride. I think that may help your body sail through without falling apart like it did. Good luck with your next one tho!
Oh, and a friend of mine is blogging on his own training as he is getting ready for the Portland Marathon here in Oregon. Maybe you would be interested in checking that out. Train2move.com
Closed Thread