PDA

View Full Version : shin splints

simmi2k6
05-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Shin Splints: A painful injury that can force you to take time off from running, yet easy to prevent. *Do these stretches and exercises daily to recover from and prevent shin splints.* Stretch your calves, ankles, and feet - a slant board is ideal. Strengthen your shin muscles: Lean your back against a wall with your feet flat on the floor, approximately 8 to 10 inches away from the wall. Keep your back against the wall, lift toes up towards shins, slowly lower down. Works shins and calves. Never do this strengthening exercise before you walk or run. Optimal time for this exercise is after your workout or before bed.

Peace_Hope
05-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Wow, I completely disagree that shin splints are easy to prevent.

I get them every track season, and they do not go away.

Jokerz
05-21-2006, 01:01 AM
i'd have to agree with peace, i've been stretching strengthening my shins for 3 years and i still have them.

moor2k6
05-22-2006, 10:54 PM
For about 3 months now i have had a problem with my left knee, I participate in jumping events and the left leg is my takeoff leg so its become a real problem. Under my knee cap is were the pain is, it usually doesnt get agrevated untill i have jumped 4 or more times but after that it becomes really stiff and painfull to jump/extend my left leg. I would like to know if anyone else had this problem or knows what should be done.

moor2k6
05-24-2006, 01:28 PM
One of the most important things is to get better arch support. The arch drops causing the tibia and fibula to rotate inward creating micro tears in the muscles along the shins. Stretch your calfs, ice the shins and use BioFreeze or Icy Hot like ointment prior to running.

Gotham Dark Knight
06-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Wow, I completely disagree that shin splints are easy to prevent.

I get them every track season, and they do not go away.

I am with you...sometimes the pain is so bad...I can only run on grass and only rest makes it any better.

Danielle
06-28-2006, 07:50 AM
I used to get shin splints. Been at least 6 years since I had that problem. I think better shoes, warming up & stretching afterward, and not running on concrete all the time have made the difference. I eat healthier nowadays, too, if that counts for anything.

Riggy
07-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Thank goodness I have not had those awful shin splints in years, but I remember just how extremely painful it is to have them. My shins were swollen up so bad that I could barely walk, let alone run! My doc had me on resting from running for a while, ice treatments, and an anti-inflammatory. Not fun...! I do know that stretching helps me a lot now!

Riggy