PDA

View Full Version : eating disorders

simmi2k6
05-11-2006, 07:17 AM
Eating disorders are not just a female problem. Eight percent of elite male athletes in Norway suffer from some type of eating disorder, according to research just completed by two masters students at the Norwegian University of Sport in Oslo. Over 900 national class male athletes participated in the study, making it the largest, and perhaps only, national study of eating disorders among elite male athletes. Included among those who reported suffering from eating disorders were international gold medalists in Olympic, World Championship and World Cup events. Laxatives, diuretics, and diet pills are just some of the preparations that athletes reported using to reduce or control weight. In the sports of boxing, karate, wrestling and judo, 82% of the athletes had used these extraordinary weight control methods. Sixteen percent of athletes in rock climbing and ski jumping had symptoms of eating disorders, according to project leader Jorunn Sundgot Borgen. Least affected among the elite were athletes in team sports (soccer, handball).

insensible
05-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Weird news ... but how does these disorders occur ?

naidu
05-12-2006, 05:44 AM
Researchers just need some one to do their research on. If they claim that 85% sports persons are suffering with eating disorders, how do you think they look so healthy and fit.
Most of the sports personals will be in their early twenties. So at that growing age and due to vigorous exercising, they feel more hungrier.

Peace_Hope
05-12-2006, 07:17 AM
I am no elite athlete, but I do pretty good, and I have absolutely no problem eating. In fact I have heard that being lighter for instance in running is not always that big of an advantage. Lots of runners in the offseason shy away from going to the gym to workout because they are scared of putting on all that muscle weight which they think will slow them down... Well let me tell you from experience this is not true, the extra lean muscle mass and stamina your body gains immensly outweighs any possible slow down of speed while running. Unless of course you get HUGE in the offseason. Lift for reps, not weight.