PDA

View Full Version : how many laps=1 mile

ravs2k6
05-09-2006, 11:42 PM
hey everyone!

Assuming the high school track I jog in is regulation size, how many laps = 1 mile? And more importantly, from which lane? I've heard it said that 4 laps will equal a mile, but obviously, the #1 lane is a bit smaller than the #9 lane. Does anyone know which lane (innermost or outermost or middle?) is the one that people refer to when they quote the 4 lap = 1 mile equation? Thanks!!

CoachLevi
05-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Yeah, most tracks are 1/4 mile tracks, so it takes 4 laps to get to 1 mile.

This is based on the innermost lane, or lane 1.

(For short distance events, you'll see staggered starts based on the lanes. For longer events like the 2 mile, you'll notice everyone eventually runs in lane 1.)

Peace_Hope
05-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Also, longer events like the 800 on up actually have staggered starts, and then are able to cut in at a certain point on the track, usually a 1 turn stagger.

PCWebAdvice
06-19-2006, 02:17 PM
It depends. I have been to some places where it is 7 or 8 laps. Some even have wierd numbers (like indoor tracks) which equate to 9 or some stupid number. It gets really confusing.

smub
06-21-2006, 01:52 PM
well the track at my school is quarter of a mile , so 4 laps...

I have been once to this elementary school they have 8 laps per mile.

RainMan
06-21-2006, 01:55 PM
I have the worst time judging a mile! Now I use a very diff method. I do not run fast, but also dont run slow. So I figure if my pace keeps up every 6 minutes or around there is a mile.

Why do I say this? Because back in highscholl I was usually always within a 20 second mark of six minutes.

Word2Action
07-04-2006, 03:12 PM
I've been running laps for 4 years. The word "lap" makes me cringe by now. I'm going to the gym, on my climate controlled treadmill equipped with a plasma TV where my coach is not around for miles to yell at me. :cool:

Gotham Dark Knight
07-09-2006, 10:26 PM
How many laps?...:)...outdoor tracks normally 4 like everyone says though I have seen smaller elementary school tracks that are 8 to a mile....

Indoor tracks vary...most are 8, 10 or 11 laps to a mile...dependes where they are at...I like them better cause they are banked....

Annnoura
07-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Well my highschool had 4 laps as a mile. My sister that is in junior high/middle school said that her track made one mile two laps. :p

mightymightyraider
08-07-2006, 11:44 AM
When I was running in high school it was 4 laps to a mile and was the same at all the schools that we ran against. I always liked the inside lane as I felt I had more room to run but like a previous poster said they stagger the starts to make all lanes fair in short distance.

Peace_Hope
12-21-2015, 06:43 PM
Using something like Cardarine and hcgenerate will help quciken your lap time substantially.