PDA

View Full Version : Do u guys shave ur legs?

ravs2k6
05-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Just wondering...I heard it helps make you faster..is this true? and do any of you do it?

insensible
05-08-2006, 06:37 AM
lol never heard of this before ...
I will not ever shave my legs ...

naidu
05-09-2006, 06:32 AM
I never heard this. I know that swimmers get their legs shaved, that help them to swim faster. But runners shaving legs?

Peace_Hope
05-09-2006, 07:21 AM
Hmm, I wonder if it would really matter that much for a longer distance / middle distance runner. I think that the bagginess of the jersey and shorts and shoes would be a much larger factor in slowing you down than the hair on your legs.

CoachLevi
05-17-2006, 09:12 AM
This is a huge topic in cycling, so I'll try to set this straight. (BTW, I shave my legs.)

In swimming, it does help decrease resistance. It also looks better.

In running and cycling, it does NOT make you faster! (It might make you feel faster though)

There are two big reasons cyclists do it:

1. It is much easier to clean up road rash if your legs are hairless.

2. Who wants to see hairly legs sticking out of tight spandex shorts??

The thing about decreasing air resistance is a big myth.

yuppie
06-20-2006, 04:35 AM
haha, what a good question! I don't, but I shave my ass if you r interested :)

tfw_c
06-20-2006, 02:06 PM
I like my leg's hair... :D

DalipJ
06-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Never shave for me, I rather keep my leg hairs

Gmason
06-20-2006, 06:38 PM
lol.. hell no but i hear runners/cyclists/swimmers shave hair so it helps them with aerodynamics!

Word2Action
06-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Negative. I hate to say that I speak for most guys but I definitely don't shave my legs and neither do the guys in my dorm at college. In fact, we go to the gym pretty much everyday of the week and the majority of us avoid even working out our legs with weights. The only guys pushing weights for legs are guys on the track team. The rest of us consider running enough of a leg workout. Legs just get no respect these days.

Danielle
07-12-2006, 09:43 AM
lol, just had to peek in on this thread. My husband had a college roommate who shaved his legs. Shaving is a lot of work and upkeep, I give you guys props. Just imagine being a WWE wrestler and waxing/shaving your entire body.

CoachLevi
07-12-2006, 09:50 AM
i hear runners/cyclists/ shave hair so it helps them with aerodynamics!
this would be from people who don't know what they're talking about. it's about looking good :cool:

ashish1987
06-07-2007, 02:06 AM
i dnt shave my legs and none of the guys around me do it either...
we tho did get a friend of ours to shave his legs by telling him tht its gonna attract more females towards you !!

werner
06-08-2007, 09:57 AM
this would be from people who don't know what they're talking about. it's about looking good :cool:Truth.

I shave my legs for post season meets. Not because it makes me run faster, but because it feels good and looks good.

werner
06-08-2007, 09:58 AM
i dnt shave my legs and none of the guys around me do it either...
we tho did get a friend of ours to shave his legs by telling him tht its gonna attract more females towards you !!I know lots of females who are attracted to shaved legs on guys!!!!!

dalt
06-10-2007, 07:11 AM
The only guys pushing weights for legs are guys on the track team. The rest of us consider running enough of a leg workout. Legs just get no respect these days.

Running develops mainly your quadriceps and it is a known fact that you need a balance between hamstrings strength and the quads. From memory (I coached athletics for 20 years) the ideal scenario is 100/100% but when I tested my athletes, I found that we had a quad/hamstring ratio of 100/30%. When I started my athletes on specific workouts to improve this imbalance, their performance improved out of site.

My son was national champion (junior) distance athlete who was in the national U20 elite squad and when they tested his ratios, they found he had a 100/130% ratio which was pretty much unheard of in athletics. They then determined the fact that he also raced bikes and the upstroking with the pedalling action increased his hamstring strength significantly. So much so, cycling was introducted to the program, but sadly they missed the main point - to increase your hamstring strength with cycling, you need your feet/shoes clipped in using Look pedals or similar so that you have load when you do the pull-up portion of the pedalling stroke.

Dalt from Oz

suvi
06-11-2007, 02:05 AM
I am not metro sexual enough to shave my legs yet.
________
HONDA CMX450 (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CMX450)

Vizuke
06-11-2007, 02:47 PM
I don't shave mines. Mines are just naturally light-haired but most people think I shave since it looks shiny and smooth for some reason. =P

athleticsforum
09-25-2007, 02:20 AM
I do it every now and then for physio and so that the tape doesnt wax me everytime, but no it don't make u run faster, leg hair doesnt really weigh that much. I dont think it makes much of a difference in swimming either, but if you like it go for it!

the_raven
09-26-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't and I don't know anyone who does, but two distance runners in Missouri where I am from both do I believe...one is a 1:53/4:07/9:20 runner and the other a 1:58/4:12/9:08 runner...don't know if it's actually supposed to make a difference in running of any kind though...those are the only 2 I can say with any certainty.

KickNit
10-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I've never shaved my legs in my life. Or my armpits. I have shaved my face, but not any more.

iceman204
03-24-2008, 09:22 PM
LOL only for XC and when the girls team shaves them for me :-P

Akar
03-27-2008, 09:54 PM
It isn't like swimming. A few leg hairs aren't going to matter. But if you have uber long hair and a beard, you might shave off 30 seconds by simply cutting it.

Pathos
04-02-2008, 07:58 PM
I shaved my legs once, it felt good and personally I think I looked good. But the social taboos surrounding it and the fact it had minimal effect on my mile time has scorned me from doing it since.