PDA

View Full Version : bare facts on running

Peace_Hope
05-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Bare Facts of Running

by Stephen Signore
"Running barefoot is safer than running with sneakers," [Ken Bob Saxton] said. "It's easier on the body. It's tough at first, and your body has to adjust to it. As with any type of change...
It allows you to run with the proper technique, instead of the heal-toe technique used when wearing sneakers."
Ken has backed up his beliefs with consistent success in road races...
After adapting to strictly bare foot running, Ken wouldn't think about going back to sneakers ever again. "If I were to wear sneakers again they would slow me down immensely," he said. "It would be like trying to type with a pair of gloves. It wouldn't feel right...
Ken and his sister Adreah recently participated in the Chester "Four on the Fourth" road race in honor of another barefoot legend, Charley Robbins. Soon to be 83- years-old, Robbins has been ran barefoot for over 65 years, winning 11 National Road Race Championships during that time. The Connecticut native ventured into barefoot running in 1935, seven years before he graduated from the University of Connecticut. Robbins, known as DOC" because of his background as a psychiatrist, is suffering from arthritis, which has removed him from competing in any fashion.
While Ken is a resident of Huntington Beach, California, the "Four on the Fourth" gave him a perfect opportunity to honor a man who paved the way for a number of barefoot runners. Ken completed the race to honor Robbins with the first ever Barefoot Hall of Fame award. Robbins daughter, Barrie, accepted the award on his behalf.
written by Stephen Signore (2003 July 28) , Valley Courier

ravs2k6
05-08-2006, 12:26 AM
I had a terrific barefoot run today. I ran 8k/5mi in 40 minutes. That’s a 5min per km/8min per mile pace - a pace that felt very comfortable. I should mention it was on pretty rough pavement and my blisters (the ones I got from running in shoes without socks) didn’t bug me at all. That makes sense since they’re not located where I land - they’re a bit more on the sides of my feet.