PDA

View Full Version : Running again

Girlloves2run
08-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Hi this is my first time on this site and it seems pretty cool. I am a runner, I started running in 7th grade, 9 years ago. I loved running and racing and did pretty good in my high school. But since I graduated, 3 years ago, I haven't done it as much. When I decide to start running, I just run on the treadmill and don't do it consistently and only feel like I need to run if I gain a couple pounds. But lately I have decided that I am going to keep it up. I have been running 3 1/2 miles, 5 days a week and i have been doing it for about 3 weeks. I know that is not a long time, but I am proud of myself for trying to get in shape again. I feel a lot more better about myself and I notice that it makes me have more energy throughout the day. The only thing is, I haven't even lost one pound. I am not running to just lose weight but I have gained about 5 pounds, maybe a little more. When I was in junior high, I don't remember if I gained weight before I lost it, I guess I didn't care back then. I remember I could eat anything I wanted all through high school and still not gain weight because I ran. Do you guys think it's normal to gain weight before you lose it? Or am I just eating something I shouldn't be?

thanks, Heather

runforfitness
08-30-2006, 02:41 PM
Hi Heather.

Welcome aboard!

I first started running seriosly about 6 years ago and I went through the same issue - I actually started to gain weight but then after about 3 months, it started coming off. I went from 205 lbs to 185 lbs and then stayed at 185 ever since - I don't really watch what I eat but am also happy at 185 since I am 6' tall.

As far as 3.5 miles 5 days a week, congrats! that is an excellent pace if you are running to keep fit - I do about the same and feel great for doing it - I am not running for competitive reasons, simply to stay fit.:)

--- Rob