PDA

View Full Version : Running on Treadmills

runforfitness
08-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Hi Everybody,

More often than not, I find myself running on a treadmill - probably because it is in front of a TV :o

I find that the workout is just as good and I can monitor both my pace and HBPM. It seems to also be softer on my knees and works great in the Winter.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

Bowlerguy92
08-12-2006, 01:17 PM
I agree. I can be in a nice warm enviornment while im running. It really spares your joints and insanity. No pain or anything while your running. Running outside is much more taxing on my legs.

mommyX2
08-16-2006, 08:37 PM
I too really like running on the treadmill but with the kids I worry what they are getting into while I am trying to run. So if I take them outside in a stroller and run I know where they are and what they are doing plus I am getting my exercise in, it is a win win! :D

CoachLevi
08-17-2006, 08:06 AM
My friend has a hectic consulting job and the only time he can run is at like 11 pm or later, so the treadmill definitely comes in handy!

mommyX2
08-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Yeah I never gave much thought to the people that have no other choice but the treadmill for saftey and such. We have a gym around here that is 24 hours and I really liked it when I had the energy to go there before I had the kids.

MarkS
08-19-2007, 05:38 PM
You can do a lot of good conditioning using a treadmill.

If you aren't training to race, the only thing you should think about is how your legs are feeling. I did a LOT of treadmill training - 7 days a week for months on end. Around the 7th month, I started to develop a very sharp pain along the achilles tendon of my left ankle. I replaced the treadmill with outdoor running, and the pain went away almost immediately. I suspect the treadmill has very high degree of 'sameness' with every stride, in terms of how your body is stressed. Running outdoors, each step is different than the previous, at least if you are on a road and even to some degree on a track. This is probably helpful to your tendons. On the other hand, the treadmill is a softer surface than etiher road or track, so it probably easier on the joints.

If you are training to race, keep a couple things in mind.

Rule of thumb on exertion is that a treadmill is less effort for a given speed, due to no wind resistance. This is not noticeable until around 6mph (10 minute miles), probably. I have heard that a 2 degree incline at speeds of 6mph - 10mph better simulates flat effort for the same speeds outdoors, it ain't gonna be perfect, though.

One thing I think is true is that if you do a thing, your body gets better at that thing. If you are training to run races outdoors on some given surface, you will perform better if you train outdoors on that surface.

If you work as hard as you are able on a treadmill, vs has hard as you are able outdoors, I don't know what the difference would be in your PR's for outdoor racing, though. I would predict a same-surface training routine would get you better PR's than a treadmill routine, but I have no data to say if that is correct.

Hugo
01-06-2008, 01:44 PM
You can do a lot of good conditioning using a treadmill.

If you aren't training to race, the only thing you should think about is how your legs are feeling. I did a LOT of treadmill training - 7 days a week for months on end. Around the 7th month, I started to develop a very sharp pain along the achilles tendon of my left ankle. I replaced the treadmill with outdoor running, and the pain went away almost immediately. I suspect the treadmill has very high degree of 'sameness' with every stride, in terms of how your body is stressed. Running outdoors, each step is different than the previous, at least if you are on a road and even to some degree on a track. This is probably helpful to your tendons. On the other hand, the treadmill is a softer surface than etiher road or track, so it probably easier on the joints.

If you are training to race, keep a couple things in mind.

Rule of thumb on exertion is that a treadmill is less effort for a given speed, due to no wind resistance. This is not noticeable until around 6mph (10 minute miles), probably. I have heard that a 2 degree incline at speeds of 6mph - 10mph better simulates flat effort for the same speeds outdoors, it ain't gonna be perfect, though.

One thing I think is true is that if you do a thing, your body gets better at that thing. If you are training to run races outdoors on some given surface, you will perform better if you train outdoors on that surface.

If you work as hard as you are able on a treadmill, vs has hard as you are able outdoors, I don't know what the difference would be in your PR's for outdoor racing, though. I would predict a same-surface training routine would get you better PR's than a treadmill routine, but I have no data to say if that is correct.

I'm not sure I agree. My own research suggests that air resistance is negligible until you hits speeds of 10mph (not 6mph).

Also unlike running outdoors, running on a treadmill does not provide the same forced air convection to help cool you, so that actually has the effect of increasing the effort.

My take is that unless you intend to compete in outdoor running, then there is no real benfit in running outside a treadmill is in fact better.

Why?

It gives you great consistency, if you set the speed to 6mph then you KNOW that you are running at 6mph, when you run outdoors you cant measure your speed as easily (you can only time yourself periodically).

You can run at a constant speed for a long time, again running outside cannot give you this easily.

Of course you are also (relatively) immune to weather, time of day, traffic, shin splints etc.

I really think running outdoors is pointless and any perceived "benefits" are confined to absolute top marathon runners who need to ensure they can cope with the an outdoor environment only because that is where marathons are run.

layla17
01-10-2008, 10:31 AM
I've heard of a bunch of people getting shin splints from treadmills as well, so I don't think that should be listed as a perceived benefit. I do agree with the ease of training that a speed setting on a treadmill offers.

iceman204
03-24-2008, 09:20 PM
THE MOST BORING THING EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
go out side and run in the rain