PDA

View Full Version : Nike marathoner and Asics speedstar shoes?? Training ? Racing?

daniel_6_mile_man
07-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Are the Nike marathoner and the Asics speedstar capable for hard training? I think the speedstar is a racing shoe, but is the marathoner a good one to train with (especially since I run all my miles on roads?)

Any other shoe advice for my particular situation (100+miles a week and lots of road running) would be appreciated!

CoachLevi
07-31-2006, 07:37 AM
If this is the shoe I wouldn't train in it. I've heard not to even go with racing flats unless you're going to do a sub 3-hour marathon.

My personal advice would be to go to a reputable running shop and ask them because it depends on other stuff besides mileage, stuff that we can't really analyze over the internet.

snake
07-31-2006, 08:03 AM
My personal advice would be to go to a reputable running shop and ask them because it depends on other stuff besides mileage, stuff that we can't really analyze over the internet.

The store I use has a treadmill and they analyze my gait for heelstrike, pronation, and who knows what else. I also bring in my current shoes and perhaps the pair before that so they can check out the wear pattern. They watch me walk, look at my knees....
Tell them about the miles you are putting on. (and they will tell you to rest ;) )

With your increased mileage, I feel you need cushion to help softer all the jarring just a bit. Running is hard on your body. I've just learned of 3 more acquaintances that have been told to stop or face knee/hip surgery. These are young people in their 40's!!

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure--get good shoes. Save any racing flats for just the race.