PDA

View Full Version : Simple and Complex carbs

CoachLevi
07-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Has anyone heard the stuff about not mixing simple and complex carbs? It's mostly from Hammer Nutrition, who makes stuff with maltodextrin. I think it's just so that you don't buy any products from GU, Powerbar, etc!

I just bought a bunch of maltodextrin powder (a "complex" carb) and will be mixing it with simple sugars in my training starting next week!

snake
07-28-2006, 03:11 PM
I'm no nutrition expert, but I would think you want to mix the two. The simple to give you quick energy and the complex to keep you in it for the long haul. The simple to get your blood sugar leval back up and the complex to help you maintain it.

Maybe I'm getting it all mixed up with sugar?

CoachLevi
07-29-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm no nutrition expert, but I would think you want to mix the two. The simple to give you quick energy and the complex to keep you in it for the long haul. The simple to get your blood sugar leval back up and the complex to help you maintain it.

Maybe I'm getting it all mixed up with sugar?

I'd say the same thing, plus studies have shown that mixing different types of sugars allows your body to absorb/use more glucose on a per minute basis. So more benefit from eating the same amount.