PDA

View Full Version : All of my favorite motivational quotes!!!!!!

daniel_6_mile_man
07-26-2006, 08:42 AM
There are all my favorite quots from a variety of different sources liek prefontaine and bannister. I hope you love and get motivation from them like me!
__________________________________________________ _________________
Run every race like it's suicide: and it's a perfect day to die

I run because I can. When I get tired, I remember those who can't run, what they'd give to have
this simple gift I take for granted, and I run harder for them. I know they would do the same for me.

If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough.

Losers look what they are going through. Winners look where they are going to.

Once that distance had been passed in training, an important physical and psychological
threshold had been crossed. It was no longer a question of *if* it could be done. Rather,
it became a question of *how fast* it could be done.

Decide before the race the conditions that will cause you to stop and drop out. You don't want to
be out there saying, Well gee, my leg hurts, I'm a little dehydrated, I'm sleepy, I'm tired, and its cold and windy. And talk yourself into quitting. If you are making a decision based on how you feel at that moment, you will probably make the wrong decision.

Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing.

In that he didn't die at the finish line, he could have run faster Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired. When you were younger the mind could make you dance all night, and the body was never tired. You've always got to make the mind take over and keep going.
Enjoy your pain, you've earned it.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
Just because your muscles start to protest doesn't mean you have to listen.
Champions are made when no one is watching.

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
The only way to be who you want to be is by being what you haven't yet been.
To describe the agony of a marathon to someone who's never run it is like trying to explain color to
someone who was born blind.
I do today what you won't so I can do tomorrow what you can't.
You can rest when you're dead.

Man imposes his own limitations, don't set any.

There will be days when I don't know if I can run a marathon. There will be a lifetime knowing that I have.
Do or do not. There is no try.
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you wont live in, Schools you can't get into,
But the roads are always open.

Opportunity is often passed up because it is disguised as hard work.

If you can't learn anything from losing, don't lose.

If a man coaches himself, then he has only himself to blame when he is beaten.

I've never been beaten by the guy behind me.

Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.

The body does not want you to do this. As you run, it tells you to stop but the mind must be strong.
You always go too far for your body. You must handle the pain with strategy...It is not age; it is not diet. It is the will to succeed.

As is true with life and in the gym-if you are willing to pay the price that others will not-you will reap the benefits that others will not

Running is different from other sports, all the others require just one ball
Having a true faith is the most difficult thing in the world. Many will try to take it from you.

We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon.
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows that it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows that it must out run the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It does not matter whether you are a lion or gazelle. When the sun comes up you had better be running.
Pass the weak, hurdle the dead.

I’ll train like a madman, un loco. Well, not like a madman, perhaps, but as if it were my last race.

You can never run a hill too hard, you will collapse before hurting it.

Every man dies, but not every man really lives.

Running is a four weather sport.

Anybody running beats anybody walking, and anybody walking beats anybody sitting.
Mental fortitude is more important than physical endurance.
Nothing worth having is easy.

Win: What’s Important Now

2nd place is the first loser.

As is true with life and in the run-if you are willing to pay the price that others will not-you will reap the benefits that others will not

snake
07-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Those are great! I read a bunch to my kids as well. They especially liked the lion and gazelle:)

I also really liked the one about running/walking/sitting as that is one that EVERYBODY can relate to and understand.

CoachLevi
07-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Yeah those are good.

One that I've always liked:

Pain is temporary, quitting is forever.