PDA

View Full Version : 6-mile-You did it! Tell us your story

snake
07-22-2006, 12:02 PM
:) Just got home from my 10-mile race--I rocked. I see you are on-line. Tell us your story!!

snake
07-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Congratulations on a great time!! :) :) Now you have a roadrace under your belt and can figure out what/how you can improve for your next one as I know you had wanted to be under 18:00. Did you win the whole race or just your age group? Trophy? Medal? Smile? Ribbon? I suppose you are one of those who stays up all night and sleeps until noon?! I was up at 6am today--just done sleeping. If I ever make it to 8am, that is LATE for me. How was your first mile-too fast or slow? Did you ever struggle in the race? Flat or hilly? What was the hardest part for you?

I ran my race with 1121 others! It was championchip timed, so I have all the stats:
287/1122 total (right at about the top 25%, so I am pleased!)
56/494 females (sounds even more impressive, huh?!:D )
8/88 in my age group
1:14:31 (7:28 mile pace)--The time includes my bathroom stop when I had a 5k to go. My 10k split was 46:26--

I was not nervous, but would have been if I had run the 5k with the other 1005 runners that did that race. I had never run the 10-mile at this race, so I was excited to give it a try. I woke up at 5am, had my coffee, water, and found NO Clif bar in the cupboard. I had a can of Slim Fast instead--instant meal in a can plus additional fluids.
The race was at 8am. I have a highschool friend who woke up at 5am, ate a granola bar and a glass of lemonade, and went back to bed until 6:30. Try that next time!
Yes, I felt good. My first mile was 7:07 and I had figured it should be about 8 or so since it was a long race, but I felt good and kept going. My philosophy is that at some point, I will get tired and I will naturally slow down, so when that happens, I slow down! When I feel good, I keep it going as long as I can. The temperature was perfect for a July race--probably around 70 as opposed to the usual 80 with high humidity. I was a bit bummed with my decision to stop at the bathrooms as I had a great time going but: They had ONLY 10 bathrooms at the 10-mile start and ONLY 10 at the 5k start. I need to write a letter to the race committee--it was DISGUSTING yet unavoidable: people were running into the woods and dropping their pants all over the place to do their business. It was everywhere you looked. I was shocked :eek: and disgusted and am very upset that there were not adequate facilities. So, I held off until I made it to the 5k start, dashed off the highway to use the portapotties, then kept on with my race. The course was all downhill from there and I didn't want to be wetting my pants while finishing hard in front of all of the spectators as I knew lots of them! So, I stopped, lost a bit of momentum, and have decided to probably cut back on even more of my fluids the morning of a race, or at least this particular race! So....It was a fun and festive atmosphere, I felt great, had a great time (for me) and I am psyched! I ran a total of 13 miles Saturday, then 7 on Sunday, will rest today, run for an hour on Tuesday and Thursday, then race again Saturday. Should be a good week.

FYI:
First place Male in the 10 mile= 52:04--(5:13 mile pace) (32:28 10k split)
First Female=58:44--(5:53) (36:53 10K)

First place male in the 5k=14:45 (4:45 mile pace)
First place Female=16:39 (5:22 pace)--I think she's 19.

Wow-what a long post. I must rest. Congrats again, 6-mile man!!:D :D :D

daniel_6_mile_man
07-24-2006, 11:10 AM
I won it for my age group..yes I got a medal...lol, normaLLY i GO TO BE AT 10 AND GET UP AT 8.....(sry for caps)

first miel was 5:45 so it was alright....i struggle to get all the air in i need to breathe, it was flat, anbd the hardest part was breatjing. it was fun, and there was only maybe 100 peopel there.

Wow your race soudns very crowded and exciting. Thats a lot of peopel to have at a race! The inadequate facilities sounds very gross. But you got through it and congrats on your finish!:D