PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Motivation?

Danielle
07-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Okay, I'll tell to ya straight--my motivation to run is faltering. I don't want to get behind in my running, but life just seems to busy lately and I find myself making lame excuses not to run. It makes no sense; I love running. I get that runner's high every time. This should be motivation enough, but, well...so what motivates you to run?

snake
07-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Danielle, did you not just sign up and pay for a race?! If you race on Saturday, then you HAVE to run Tuesday and Thursday for sure to make sure you don't embarrass yourself at the race itself.

1. Pre-register for a race so you have to prepare for it, plus you paid so you have to go
2. My running partner calls me relentlessly, so she makes me run.
3. Can you do it early in the day (7am or earlier) ? That way you are done. You can't make excuses as the day goes on and life gets in the way

That's the best I can do. It is what works for me. :)

daniel_6_mile_man
07-20-2006, 06:58 PM
For me personally I train harder and more than most people...so my motivations are:

1- Knowign that I'm trainign harder, farther than most people, doing things they won't do. It reminds me of a quote "I do today what you wont, so tomorrow I do what you cant" Thats a great quote.

2- Peopel like STEVE PREFONTAINE and ROGER BANNISTER. Bannister of course, first man to break 4 minutes in the mile whe nall doctors said it was impossible. Great guy. Prefontaine, the bad boy of running but man was he fast and he had a lot of great quotes, and races! I think eh still holds the record for fastest 3 miel time for a person 19 years old and under. One of the best quotes (there are a lot of quotes by him that are very popular) is "Run every race liek its suicide, and its a perfect day to die"

3- Knowing that when it comes to Track and Cross Country racing everythign I do will make me faster than someone else. It keeps me ahead of my opponents that arent trainign like I am.

snake
07-20-2006, 07:43 PM
6-mile man,
The day of my race of the failed pick-up plan, I remembered parts of your signature quotes as I struggled! They helped my go faster down the hill and then some...

Word2Action
07-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Pretty much just working towards having the ultimate body. Stuyding athletes and following bodybuilders like Paul Levesque aka Triple H are my motivation. Along with a lot of music. A lot of music!

Unregistered
07-22-2006, 04:19 PM
I find there are a lot of things you can do to keep running fun.
Find a running partner...that alone can keep you running for a year or more... Switch up your routes often, it makes for a change in scenery. Also rent St. Ralph or Prefontaine a couple
of movies that will give you some motivation. Not only that try
different workouts, dont just stick with one set routine..yawn.
mix it up with hills, speedwork (interval training) fartleks ect. One thing that kept me amused for a long time was the purchase of a satellite watch (Garmin makes a good one) this
records your pace distance calories burnt ect.
And also on the other side of the coin....leave your watch at home..just go out and enjoy the run take in the scenery and forget the watch at home.... hope these help...happy running :0)

daniel_6_mile_man
07-22-2006, 08:28 PM
lol, snake..i always think of my quotes too..i also find them to be helpful

Danielle
07-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Okay, guys, I haven't run in six days and you know what?

I AM READY TO RUN !!!

Man oh man, the difference a few days off makes. I miss running. I want to run right now so badly, but my hubby is off at a WWE event and I'm stuck--uh, I mean, delighted--to watch our toddler. ;)

snake, your advice is right on. I know if I spend the money to pre-register for a race, then my husband will hound me to keep training for it and I'll feel mucho obligated. And I'd love to run in the morning. I used get up at 3:30 just to get my run in, but lately (the past few months, actually) my allergies have been terrible in the morning. I know that not running first thing in the morning has set my training back some, but I'm at the mercy of my allergies. I really miss the solitude of my morning runs and watching the sun rise.

daniel 6 mile man, I totally wish I had half your dedication. I like your first piece of advice about knowing that, as runners, we are doing things other people can't or won't. I went through a period a few years back when I was studying all the time and stopped exercising--geez, when I came back to my senses and started running again, my stamina was completely shot. I need to keep that in mind because I don't ever want that to happen again. It was so not worth it.

Word2Action, I've always appreciated Triple H's body. Weird, how I'm female so you'd think I'd be motivated by a woman physique, but looking at Triple H just makes me want to be the best that I can be. I'm going to rummage through my old wrestling mags and stick his picture to my fridge (what the heck, it can't hurt).

Unregistered, thanks for the tips! Don't be shy now, sign on up and stay a while. Sounds like you've got things to share. :)

kelkat
07-25-2006, 09:56 PM
I want to be able to play soccer with my kids.

I am a true beginner - even though I was once a track runner. I want to get back into it, but I have no idea where to start.

TheFron
08-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Since I'm just starting out I don't have much of a motivation besides trying something new and seeing if I'll like it or not in a few months. Benefit is it helps me stay healthy though, so i'm not complaining on that part.

mightymightyraider
08-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Take it from someone that used to be a runner, you do not want to lose your motivation. Do whatever you can do to get yourself out there and stay fit. I am so fat now that I can not even go 1/2 of a mile on a walk, so please keep up your routine and don't end up where I am.

sauconygal
08-11-2006, 12:19 PM
I am a very competitive person by nature so I find that I love racing and running because it give me the chance to compete against someone. I love to be able to pull myself out of a slump towards the end of a race to blow by another runner, there is nothing better than that feeling.

Riggy
08-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Running has always made me feel good, both physically and mentally. It's something that I could always do to clear my head and get my thoughts together. I want to get back into my former running shape. I'm restarting all over again after an absence and it's a challenge for me. Still, even with age and the aches and pains that go with it, I am enjoying being back on the track again.

Riggy

Discus_Girl
08-13-2006, 09:44 PM
I find my motivation in many places; Music and emotions are primary. If I find myself angry, I'll grab my shoes and head out the door. That way it not only rids myself of any angst or feelings, it gives me a reason to stay in shape. Another motivator is my old friends that I've left behind. I know they'd want me to continue on my journey as an athlete and a runner, so I do.
I use any excuse I can just to go run, be-it boredom, ambition, ect. I just do it.

mommyX2
08-15-2006, 10:08 AM
My motivation is my children. I want to be as healthy as I can to have a long happy life with them and I also pride myself in setting a good example for the children and have them eat healthy and live happy lives.

joggingqueen
08-18-2006, 02:07 PM
I love to run so I do not really need any motivation to go out there and do it. I feel great during my runs as with my high stress job it is good to get a break and then after my runs I have a whole other type of energy that gets me through my days.

anuban1976
06-07-2007, 01:03 AM
my friend running in front of me, we normally chase each other and are each others motivation. it gives you a feeling of real racing where you always want to get ahead of your competitor

ashish1987
06-07-2007, 02:38 AM
shed those extra pounds !!!
the thought of it makes me run !!
lol !!