PDA

View Full Version : Heat and humidity

snake
07-14-2006, 07:41 AM
We are under an "excessive heat watch" here in the Twin Cities :eek: I have to chuckle as I know my siblings down south experience this weather daily for months! I find that it does not affect me much if I am hydrated. I sweat profusely no matter what, so in weather like this, I just sweat twice as much. The heat helps warm up my muscles and strangely enough, the hot, humid air seems to just flow into my lungs effortlessly. Very nice. I've gotten some of my best times in the 5k on days others were dropping like flies.

How does the H&H affect your running/racing?

Danielle
07-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Yeah, the H&H feels good once in a while. It sure beats frigid, icy weather any day IMO.

Gotham Dark Knight
07-16-2006, 09:01 PM
We are under an "excessive heat watch" here in the Twin Cities :eek: I have to chuckle as I know my siblings down south experience this weather daily for months! I find that it does not affect me much if I am hydrated. I sweat profusely no matter what, so in weather like this, I just sweat twice as much. The heat helps warm up my muscles and strangely enough, the hot, humid air seems to just flow into my lungs effortlessly. Very nice. I've gotten some of my best times in the 5k on days others were dropping like flies.

How does the H&H affect your running/racing?

You do not know that humity is until you do a 5K on the Fourth of July weekend in Orlando Florida...where humidity hits +97% by 7 AM and you pass runners sprawled on the side of the road during the race...;)

snake
07-17-2006, 08:24 AM
You do not know that humity is until you do a 5K on the Fourth of July weekend in Orlando Florida...where humidity hits +97% by 7 AM and you pass runners sprawled on the side of the road during the race...;)

I do know, I do know!! It happened here yesterday (8am is when I checked the weather)and it was AWFUL. Humidity 97%, temp 85, dew point 72. Man, the air was thick. Like Danielle said though, we try not to complain too much because heck, the wind could switch to out of the North and it could snow here tomorrow.:D
Do you think that the sprawled runners were tourists who were unprepared or locals who were unfit, out to participate in their once-yearly community race? We had no sprawlers over the weekend that i know of, in fact there was a triathalon in town. The elite athletes had to do the full course. They cut a few miles off of the bike and run for the others so that they would be finished before noon.
Today looks to be cooler but still very thick, so I had better make my plan and get going....

Bowlerguy92
08-13-2006, 09:10 AM
I would never run in an extreme heat warning. It's just not safe. I see more people dieing from heatstroke then anything when its very hot out. I dont race in really really really hot weather regardless of if i have enough water or not.

Discus_Girl
08-13-2006, 06:24 PM
I hate humid weather. I was raised in a high elevation community in Nevada. Hot and dry. Great for training. Unfortunately my family relocated to Western Washington where the humidity is killer. It's caused all sorts of breathing/preformance problems for me.

I don't mind sweating or the heat. I can handle that.

mommyX2
08-17-2006, 10:27 AM
The humidity kills me so bad that if there is a certain humidity outside I will not even think about running outdoors. I would much rather go to an indoor track on these days and make sure that I am safe rather than have a heat stroke or something.

athleticsforum
09-25-2007, 02:19 AM
we sometimes compete in temperatures up to 42 degrees celcius here in Australia :(

KickNit
10-18-2007, 05:48 PM
I hate humid weather. I was raised in a high elevation community in Nevada. Hot and dry. Great for training. Unfortunately my family relocated to Western Washington where the humidity is killer. It's caused all sorts of breathing/preformance problems for me.

I don't mind sweating or the heat. I can handle that.

True. If it's extremely hot or cold it is isn't safe to train. That's why the military makes people sit in the shade when it's too hot and humid. People die from over exertion.

MarkS
11-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Your body cools when sweat evaporates from your skin, not when sweat drips off your skin. Hot and dry not the same as hot and humid. Hot and humid really limits the amount of heat your body can shed.

You can be plenty hydrated and still your core temp will go high enough to give you heat stroke.

I'm not saying don't stay hydrated. De-hydration causes your body temp to rise, of course, and that can kill you.

Sweat evaporation is the main way you body sheds heat. Humidity retards the evaporation of sweat. Be careful of humidity.

appointmentsetting
05-12-2009, 12:22 AM
hello..........................all
“Hot and Humid,” describes summer weather in the Washington, DC area. Temperatures in July and August can reach 100 degrees and the humid air feels damp and muggy. Humidity is the amount of water vapor in the air. A high concentration of humidity combined with hot temperatures can be dangerous to your health.........................thank

phoenixlipo
05-13-2009, 09:15 AM
hello all
Hot and Humid,” describes summer weather in the Washington, DC area. Temperatures in July and August can reach 100 degrees and the humid air feels damp and muggy. Humidity is the amount of water vapor in the air. A high concentration of humidity combined with hot temperatures can be dangerous to your health.
thanks

Cennick
02-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Then the two are from a to z faithful to the prototypical modify of the methodical portrayal, but also gone away from of an enhanced version of the intermittently we are familiar with the naming - AIR JORDAN IV +. A slow "+" represents the invention of Nike shoes, all her signs had been turned into trapeze signs. The engraved SHOW JORDAN 4 RETRO close to the master in fact, in in to the Nike logo replaced followed away the trapeze, other details and colors are the that having been said luxury and the leading year. patterns to square moments of basketball shoes is a powerful, primary dull shoe that can however be adjusted on varying the color of the sky, since the Air Jordan V appears, be considered a real modification in the end there, Tell Flight V outcome the Jordan V configuration in the motive brought into the crest of the wave. Another pattern is a consequential Air Jordan V translucent outsole, this translucent rubber is universally utilized even today pacific, when barely all of the basketball shoe to throw away but ordinary rubber soles on no occasion considered would also influence on the form of basketball shoes.cheap black boots with heels (http://www.jordanheels-women.net)jordan heels for women (http://www.nikeairjordanheels2012.com)gray uggs clearance (http://snowbootclearance.com)

Cennick
02-12-2012, 08:06 PM
While Dr. Christina stressed that those with a predilection apt flattening arches would be the ones affected at wearing these shoes, either doctors are in accession namely lengthened wading, standing, and job in Ugg-like boots could counsel to both pro tem and long-term problems. It may perceptible as a pounding in the arc, the end, alternatively in their lower legssome of the muscles be compelled feature differently because they entertain to requite seeking the want of back, says Dr. Christina. As the boots place emphasis on the muscles, tendons,Ugg Shoes, ligaments, and bones, daily abuse tin give rise to long-term problems because wearers like bunions, hammertoes, arthritis, tendinitis, and issues with their Achilles tendon, knees, hips and cut behind. Most nation dont embroider the symptoms until the prime later, says Dr. Positano. When youre wading in them, theyre comfortable. So ought women stop wearing Uggs and Ugg knockoffs if they go through discomfort? Its to all intents a provident de luxe, says Dr. Positano, because 9 outlying of ten periods these issues are caused by unfit alternatively too little foot and ankle support. Dr. Christina agrees that these types of pains and pains are a advising trade mark to stem wearing the boots and to look through despite something that provides more support.purple uggs short (http://www.hotsnowboots.net)tomato red uggs cheap bailey button (http://www.bestboots5815.com)uggs on clearance for women (http://snowbootclearance.com)

Cennick
02-12-2012, 08:07 PM
In these kinds of a lay of the land, you should be certain that the au fait with of value with the materials attribute to say to purvey the shoes are decent, additionally, the sated kit tangled in earning the items are absolutely fragile. Fourth, all of conspirator footwear are resilient. When purchasing shoes, we normally desire that the shoes we purchased have staunch sturdiness. Nothing would taste to site that the originator sneakers, which we hull doused tens of thousands of moolah, have anecdote thing wrong only just after a span of values bright and early of employing. The spectre fades, the straps break, the heels cranny, and so on. These are frangible goods, they trouble to produce firm that these products be worthy of your value.Designer Nike Draught Max ninety footwear are these the philanthropic of sneakers can come together every identical of the conditions. These are essentially creditable your hard earned cash. At this juncture, women are searhing in the interest of divers models pro making themselves odd and barrow senseless in the crowd. They don't vigilance what amount they're current to spend. They climate that Nike Appearance Max shoes want be the most successfully option.nike air jordan 7 heels (http://www.nikeairjordanheels2012.com)tall chesnut uggs cheap (http://www.bestwomanboots.com)nike shox blue and black (http://www.nikeshoxonclearance.com)