PDA

View Full Version : Too many miles training for 5k??? Makes you WORSE

daniel_6_mile_man
07-12-2006, 10:02 PM
So far this week I've been doing 12, 13, 14, and then today 4.5 miles.....my legs felt great and rested, ev erythign was just like it always is when I run. Normally I only do 50 miles a week but this week Im aiming for 70. So, I was hoping for a better 4.5 mile time, but my time for it this week was SLOWER!!!!

I have heard from fellow runners that doing that many miles will make you slower since im training for a 5k, is this true>? Its not because its 70 miles, but because the runs are all over 10 miles except one day (which I did 4.5 and ran later that evening). But when I do 50, its normally, 7, 6, 5, 4,5, and other shorter runs. It makes sense to me, but I don't know.

snake
07-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Math is not my thing, but it looks as if you broke "the rule" about increasing your mileage too much and too fast. We also happen to know that you love to run those miles hard! :) IMHO, you did the above and did not let your muscles have adequate recovery time.

I wonder too, if your nutrition may have played a role??

Also, people training for marathons do not even run workouts like that. During the course of a week, they'll do ONE really long run, then a bunch of 7-8 milers and lower.

Take a day or two off, help out around the house(laundry, cut grass, pull weeds--crosstraining!:D )
REST,REST, REST.

daniel_6_mile_man
07-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Nutrition was good, thanks for the advice...

wouldnt cross-trainign liek other sports not be restign my legs?? and not helping me rest though?

snake
07-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Cross training will be working your other muscles and your cardio while giving your running muscles a break. Swimming, cross-country skiing (winter), biking... How about just going for a long, fast walk with your music and some hand weights? Take the stairs in your house by 2 as you haul the laundry up and down, rollerblade--I'm out of ideas.

What do you have against REST???? Who is after you??? What are you running from???;) :D :D

Enjoy the few weeks left before your seriously hard training sets in and you are not allowed to rest. Overuse=fatigue=injury

Danielle
07-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Are you getting bored because you follow the same path? When I start getting slower, I switch it up and will sometimes drive 10 miles just to run 3 miles, lol.