PDA

View Full Version : Swollen Fingers & Toes

eneagirl
07-11-2006, 01:02 PM
I've found that running during the hot summer is causing my fingers and toes to become swollen. What can I do to overcome this during my run?

Word2Action
07-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Ouch, sounds painful. I've never had that happen to me. Its obviously too much blood rushing to those areas. The usual rule of thumb is to use ice to get blood out of that area. R.I.C.E.

Rest
Ice
Compression (?)
Elevation (above the level of the heart but not necessary unless serious)

Danielle
07-12-2006, 09:26 AM
This probably isn't anything to worry about (but, hey, I'm not a doctor--just a runner:D ). I get this when running on really hot days, too and I know a few other runners who experience this. I was told that squeezing my hands into fists every so often while I run would help and it does. I was told (by a fellow runner) that this works because it pushed the blood away from the fingers. Try it; hope it helps you.

CoachLevi
07-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Are you drinking a lot of water?

eneagirl
07-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Thank you Danielle - I will absolutely try making fists with my hands. This occurs on days when it is really hot and humid outside.

CoashLevin - do I need extra water on runs like this? I have recently started drinking Propel which has also helped with reducing my bloating in my fingers and toes.

Thanks guys!

CoachLevi
07-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Drinking too much water (as opposed to sports drinks w/ electrolytes) can create an imbalance, which can lead to swelling... like being water logged.

Here's an article that lists all sorts of causes for the swelling:

Lyricb
07-20-2006, 04:30 AM
Good info, Coach, thanks for sharing. I would have thought MORE water would have been the solution since that's what women are told to do when they're extremeties get bloated.

Danielle
07-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Yeah, thanks for the info, CoachLevi. That's not something I would've ever guessed in a million years.

sauconygal
08-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Another thing to think about is that this could just be poor circulation of your blood. I have this in the winter and the doctor said it was because I did not have enough fat to keep the blood going?? I never heard of not being fat enough? LOL

Bowlerguy92
08-12-2006, 01:38 PM
I would just try iceing those areas i guess. There really isnt anything you can do while your running but afterwards compress it with icewater and let them rest. The swelling should then go down.

JimOakly
08-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Hmm that is certainly an issue that i have never seen or heard of before. I would say do what the other members are telling you and ice it down once your finished. I guess it just means you have great circulation haha.

ashish1987
06-07-2007, 03:01 AM
ice n cold water !!!

nothing helps better and faster