PDA

View Full Version : Running a 5K

Danielle
07-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Either this fall (or next spring, if things don't work out to plan), I want to run my first 5K (after 13 years of running, lol). For all of you who've run a 5K, is it best to try and keep your speed steady during the race?

Gotham Dark Knight
07-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Either this fall (or next spring, if things don't work out to plan), I want to run my first 5K (after 13 years of running, lol). For all of you who've run a 5K, is it best to try and keep your speed steady during the race?

its hard to gauge...you will be so hyped that you will go out too fast...even when you plan different...if you under training and not been running past 3 miles in practice you will feel it in the back half of the third mile...and then the crowd and finish line picks you up at the end.:)

snake
07-09-2006, 10:18 PM
My strategy:
1. Go out quickly enough to get a good spot, but not too quickly that you die big-time later. You want a pretty fast first mile.
2. You then can slow a bit (most likely it will happen quite naturally!) but you need to be able to hold your spot. This will be TOUGH. This is where you will really struggle if you do not have any distance training under your belt. The distance training gives you the endurance you will need to maintain your speed during this critical mile.
3. Almost done--still tough, still trying to maintain, but the crowd and the anticipation of finishing will carry you through. Make sure you have looked at the course map so you know exactly where the finish will be. That way you will know when to kick it in.

Some of my advice for you:

Remember, you can always throw up after you cross the line! Finish strong.

Don't have REALLY high expectations for your first race. After you complete it you will be able to evaluate what you could/should do better or differently to prepare for your next race. You'll have an actual race time with which to compare future race results--it will give you a good benchmark for what your mile splits should be

In order to get out quickly, you should do a nice slow warm-up of at least a mile. I used to think people were weird to warm-up for a 3 mile race.....Now I am older and require a warm-up. :rolleyes: It made a HUGE difference for me in both how I felt and my times. If the race starts at 8am, I make sure I am done with my jog by 7:45. If I am late getting to the race, my warm-up may only consist of running to the registration booth to pick up my packet, then back to my car to drop off my new t-shirt, then back to the start. A short one is better than none at all. You will not have a quick first mile if you are not primed first!!!

Have fun. Running is fun! You'll meet fun,good people and have a good time regardless of anything else. If I think of any more pearls of wisdom, I'll add them later!

Danielle
07-10-2006, 06:24 AM
Gotham, thanks--I didn't think of the crowd. I'm rather shy, so seeing the crowd will make me run faster (just to run away from them, lol). I tend to get nervous with people watching me and I don't want my running form to suffer, so this'll be something I'll need to prepare for in my training.

snake, thanks for all the info. Especially the warm-up info--that's something I wondered about. As for distance, that's no problem. I am hoping to increase my speed beforehand. Currently, I run at about a 9-min-per-mile pace during my 6 mile runs (yeah, I'm a lazy runner). I'd really like to pare that down to at least 7:30 when race time comes around, but I'm starting to think I'll need a miracle for that to happen.

snake
07-10-2006, 07:45 AM
As for distance, that's no problem. I am hoping to increase my speed beforehand. Currently, I run at about a 9-min-per-mile pace during my 6 mile runs (yeah, I'm a lazy runner). I'd really like to pare that down to at least 7:30 when race time comes around, but I'm starting to think I'll need a miracle for that to happen.[/quote]

Lazy?! :eek: How about calm, relaxed, enjoying yourself, avoiding injury.....:cool: We should not try to be like 6-mile man! ( I always think of the Six Million Dollar Man show-lol) When you are out on your runs, try to increase your pace to a 7:30 mile in the middle somewhere and when you are a half-mile away from home, really try to run it hard all the way in. (fartlek) That should get you some good speed practice. When is your race? Perhaps you should do a trial run this week! Try a race-pace 3-mile, check your time at all the splits, then continue on slowly for the rest of your workout and analyze it while you are getting the rest of your mileage in.

You had commented on my times in a previous post--I run a lot of 9-minute miles during workouts. You'll be faster than you think.:)

daniel_6_mile_man
07-11-2006, 08:28 AM
]

We should not try to be like 6-mile man! ( I always think of the Six Million Dollar Man show-lol)[/quote]

Why not??? lol.....by the way, Ive taken the advice you all here have given me and will start to do slower, tempo/easy runs, not always 100%...

Snake, that was an excellent 1st post!! :)

CoachLevi
07-11-2006, 01:08 PM
...and then the crowd and finish line picks you up at the end.:)

Yeah, if I'm ever racing where there are crowds, I'll go harder than usual without worrying about getting worn out... cause once I'm worn out, I'll just let the crowd motivate me to keep going strong!

shegodemona
07-10-2009, 04:37 AM
I just start in a position I think I can maintain and hold it. If I can pass people later thats just a plus! :)