PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Running Movies

eneagirl
07-07-2006, 06:30 PM
My all time favorite is Chariots of Fire. It's a little dated now but a must see for all runner enthusiasts or movie buffs.

What's your favorite runner movie?

Danielle
07-10-2006, 06:44 AM
I don't have a fav running movie, but I do get motivated by watching and reading about racers who have overcome obstacles, like getting a prostetic (spelling?) leg or coming back strong after being paralyzed in an accident.

You know, I watched Chariots of Fire a long time ago (and only parts of it). I could use some motivation, so hopefully it's on DVD. That, or regular TV.

snake
07-10-2006, 01:27 PM
You know, I watched Chariots of Fire a long time ago (and only parts of it). I could use some motivation, so hopefully it's on DVD. That, or regular TV.

Danielle, you totally crack me up. I about burst into tears whenever I hear that theme song! How about that one movie with Mariel Hemingway--it came out around the same time. All of my running team was seeing it and I got to see it too, but with my mom:rolleyes: , due to the very contriversial lesbian content. As I think back now, I wonder if there were even any "graphic" scenes. There may have been a kiss, but I think most of "the situation" was implied and I just didn't get it. Poor naive me. I went to see the running.... Oh, to go back to the good 'ol days!

eneagirl
07-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Running On Empty is a good movie - this included River Pheonix as the oldest son of two activists that are running for their lives because the FBI is searching for them.

It's a heartwarming story about the choices parents made 20 years ago and how this effects the lives of their children.

Check it out.

CoachLevi
07-12-2006, 10:09 AM
It's not running, but Breaking Away (1979) is a good movie!

eneagirl
07-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Coach Levi what is this movie about? I haven't heard of Breaking Away... I am a huge movie buff and always up for watching a recommended film.

CoachLevi
07-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Coach Levi what is this movie about? I haven't heard of Breaking Away... I am a huge movie buff and always up for watching a recommended film.

I've heard it called a "coming of age story" it's like four brothers and one of them gets really into cycling and racing and they do that race in Indianapolis or something, around the college's track.

this probably has a better explanation...

Danielle
07-16-2006, 08:35 PM
It's not running, but Breaking Away (1979) is a good movie!

I saw this movie a couple years back on regular TV. I enjoyed it and thought it was inspiring. My husband didn't care much for it, though; thought it was kind of spacy at times.

Gotham Dark Knight
07-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Danielle, you totally crack me up. I about burst into tears whenever I hear that theme song! How about that one movie with Mariel Hemingway--it came out around the same time. All of my running team was seeing it and I got to see it too, but with my mom:rolleyes: , due to the very contriversial lesbian content. As I think back now, I wonder if there were even any "graphic" scenes. There may have been a kiss, but I think most of "the situation" was implied and I just didn't get it. Poor naive me. I went to see the running.... Oh, to go back to the good 'ol days!

you are thinking of the 1981 movie..."Personal Best"...the actress opposite of Mariel was straight...and a former world class track athlete...

Around that time frame there was also "Golden Girl" with the Susan Anton...who in my opinion can't run worth a lick...but was it really about running...;)

Vizuke
06-08-2007, 06:42 PM
i can't beleive no one mentioned forrest gump yet!

stressmom
03-05-2008, 07:34 PM
I LOVED Forrest Gump and Chariots of Fire

Sportitude
04-15-2008, 02:35 PM
I really enjoyed ESPN's Four Minutes. The epic story of Roger Bannister and his quest to break the 4 minute mile barrier. :)

http://thesportitude.com (http://thesportitude.com/) - Sportitude Shirt Store

SoleSister
05-27-2008, 10:36 PM
"Saint Ralph" was great, though quirky. Loved the documentary "Spirit of the Marathon"