PDA

View Full Version : Running Clothes

eneagirl
07-06-2006, 04:47 PM
There is so much new technology and clothing material out there... Any recommendations on best types of materials these days for the outdoor and indoor runner?

I've read a little about materials that actually pull the sweat away from the body - similar to dry weave effects in pads.

CoachLevi
07-07-2006, 09:23 AM
It's hard to go wrong with all the breathable synthetics these days. I've used different stuff from Coolmax, Nike, Terramar, Craft, Under Armour, etc. and it's all pretty good.

A new shirt that looks really good is the Zensah compresstion tee.

Discus_Girl
07-07-2006, 12:32 PM
A must for me is the Underarmour compression shorts. They do pull sweat away from the body, and prevent chaffing. Helps if you have curvacious thighs.

eneagirl
07-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys. I'll definitely check them out. What about shorts and socks?

CoachLevi
07-08-2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks guys. I'll definitely check them out. What about shorts and socks?

As far as the regular running shorts I don't really have a preference.

For socks, look for Ultimax Ironman triathlon socks. Those are amazing!

snake
07-08-2006, 12:30 PM
I wear shorts by Moving Comfort, In-Sport, and Asics. They are a silky, fast-drying polyester (I think) or soft nylon on the outside and have a wicking underwear-type liner on the inside. I wear the ones with a 3" to 3 1/2" inseam. No split shorts for me! The longer length hides my lumps and bumps that my swimsuit shows, and it's a very flattering length--no hanging out. My sister in-law told me her embarrassing story of going out on a hot, humid, sweaty day. She only had one dry spot left, on the front of her shorts :o Therefore, I will not wear my one pair of baby blue solid shorts while running if it is above 60 degrees. I only wear prints which are getting very hard to find, especially in the longer inseam length. The prints then coordinate with my wicking polyester tanks that I have purchased at Target or at running expos over the years. It has been getting harder for me to find those in the style I like too. :mad: When you wash them, you are not supposed to use fabric softener--that will plug up the fibers and it will not wick.

Danielle
07-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Heehee, my running clothes aren't quite up to today's standards. I can't wait until I afford some of this new digs.

snake
07-12-2006, 11:37 AM
I try to treat myself to one really great item a year. (besides new shoes every 4 months) My $68 Nike Dri-Fit winter running pants are an example. One other year it was my $20 wicking winter running gloves. If anything, if you are just starting to invest, make sure you get good cold-weather clothes. You will never regret it and they'll last a long time with proper care. I have now started to wear mine when I hunt and ice-fish and do other outdoor winter activities as well. Check the clearance racks at Target, TJMaxx, and Marshall's for your everyday stuff.

I try to NEVER put any of my running stuff except socks, in the dryer. It all hangs dry.

sauconygal
08-07-2006, 12:07 PM
I really like the Adidas line of clothing. For shoes I am obviously in love with my saucony's! I really like how breathable the fabric is in the Adidas clothing, I never feel like I am drenched in sweat!

khasmoth
08-07-2006, 05:14 PM
I prefer any brands as long as you feel comfortable with it. But mostly I wear Nike or Adidas clothing because of the quality you will surely get from their products. Making you comfortable in any race will help you boost your confident on your way to the finish line :D

Bowlerguy92
08-12-2006, 01:26 PM
I dont use any of that newfangled garbage. I use loose shorts or sweatpants depending on the season and a loose sleeveless shirt and maybe some sun glass. I dont need a 80 dollar spandex jumpsuit for running.

snake
08-13-2006, 06:55 PM
I dont use any of that newfangled garbage. I use loose shorts or sweatpants depending on the season and a loose sleeveless shirt and maybe some sun glass. I dont need a 80 dollar spandex jumpsuit for running.

I grew up running that way and am more than happy to never go back. In fact, I am lucky to have survived, especially in the winter! Winter running when the temp is zero is when I especially praise new clothing technology.
Whatever you do, don't ever borrow anyone's "newfangled garbage" or buy that wicking tank just to try it because it was only $2 on clearance, or you too, will cross the line to the other side.:D :D :cool:

Riggy
08-13-2006, 07:23 PM
There is so much new technology and clothing material out there... Any recommendations on best types of materials these days for the outdoor and indoor runner?

I've read a little about materials that actually pull the sweat away from the body - similar to dry weave effects in pads.

I've recently bought several running tops that are made from Microfiber. It is known for doing exactly as you explain above...moving wetness away from the body into the material. I really like it because I no longer feel somewhat weighted down by a sweaty T-shirt clinging to me.

Riggy

Discus_Girl
08-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Underamour makes a huge difference. I wear compression shorts & a t-shirt under my regular cotton running clothes. They have hot and cold wear. Wicks away sweat or keeps the heat it. Great stuff. Inexpensive if you look in the right places.

mommyX2
08-15-2006, 10:05 AM
I usually just wear a pair of cotton shorts and a t-shirt maybe I need to think about what I am wearing a little more. I suppose that I could look for something that will keep me cooler, but is there anything that will cover me up completly, I have some flab from the kids.

ashish1987
06-07-2007, 02:58 AM
i use a tee and shorts or track pants depending on the chill outside...