PDA

View Full Version : Breathing Techniques

eneagirl
07-06-2006, 04:16 AM
Any advice to a novice runner just getting back into it on how to increase distance and endurance? I find that my breathing is sort of shallow and I tire quickly. How often should I run and are there breathing techniques to keep in mind?

Danielle
07-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Congrats on running again! Just remember not to overdo it in the beginning. I took a year off of running after my daughter was born and went back into it slow and steady for the first two weeks, then that 'runner's high' took over. I ended up with a knee injury that kept me from running for two months. Don't follow that example.:D

I've heard that 'proper' breathing is supposed to come from the belly, but that just feels unnatural for me. My breathing is shallow, too, until after about 10 minutes of running and then my breathing mellows out. Hopefully, someone else here has some advice on this.

eneagirl
07-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks... I'll try that. Kind of like singing, huh - they say breathe from the belly and not from the chest so you can belt out the melody without running out of breath :)

ashish1987
06-07-2007, 06:42 AM
it is said that we humans under normal conditions only use 20% of our lung capacities while Olympic runners use about 50%.
if you really are interested to know how can YOU increase your lung capacity and improve your way of living then PM me.
i do not want to write about it in the open as it may offend a few people here.
this is not a publicity and i wont charge to reply back :)