PDA

View Full Version : Arm Swing While Running

Danielle
07-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Just curious--is there a proper way to move the arms while running? I had a doctor once tell me that swinging your arms across the body will cause injury. But, for me, it feels more natural to swing them across the body a little. Having my arms only going in a straight up and down movement feels weird.

This wasn't my regular doctor or anything and I didn't like much of anything else she told me that day, so her comment didn't really get me to change my arm movement. But if I get like 20 replies saying this doctor was right, then well maybe it's time for me to change my ways.:)

Gotham Dark Knight
07-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Just curious--is there a proper way to move the arms while running? I had a doctor once tell me that swinging your arms across the body will cause injury. But, for me, it feels more natural to swing them across the body a little. Having my arms only going in a straight up and down movement feels weird.

This wasn't my regular doctor or anything and I didn't like much of anything else she told me that day, so her comment didn't really get me to change my arm movement. But if I get like 20 replies saying this doctor was right, then well maybe it's time for me to change my ways.:)

I don't think about injuries as much as how much energy is being wasted with excessive arm swing...unless you are sprinting...I have seen elite runners do all sorts of thing with their arm swings and not get hurt...

The great Jim Ryun use to bob his head from side to side when he kicked in a mile...everyone is different...

So I would get a new doctor and keep the arm swing.

PS next thing they will tell you is the human knee is not meant for running....

daniel_6_mile_man
07-03-2006, 05:03 PM
I've always heard and seen that the best way to do it is as much as is comfortable as logn as neither arm crosses the centerpoint of your body (belly button: the middle of ur body)

eneagirl
07-06-2006, 04:49 PM
I have a shoulder injury... I dislocated it about 12 years ago so I have to be extra careful when excercising. Any advise for a bad shoulder?

Lyricb
07-06-2006, 08:19 PM
I usually keep my arms pretty loose but I don't swing them too much...I also find that not clenching my hands helps a bunch.

Danielle
07-07-2006, 07:36 AM
next thing they will tell you is the human knee is not meant for running...

Have you been talking to my doc? ;)

I left my foot doctor a few years ago because he kept pressuring me to quit running.

Word2Action
07-20-2006, 10:25 PM
I just finding swinging arms to be a natural thing. Just try tieing them behind your back and its just impossible to run.

CoachLevi
07-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Just go with whatever feels natural, and stay relaxed. Don't waste energy by clenching your fists or anything. And once you're worn out, definitely use your arm swing to keep yourself moving forward!

ashish1987
06-07-2007, 03:07 AM
i havent seen anyone swing arms while running
i do that to stretch a lil bit while brisk walking

ashish1987
06-07-2007, 04:05 AM
while running as well ???