PDA

View Full Version : Weekend race-new strategy

snake
06-30-2006, 01:25 PM
We are heading out of town for the weekend and I have found a 5K to race on Saturday morning where we will be. My plan is to throw in a 200-400m pick-up somewhere, probably in the middle of the second mile. My fear is that I will not recover and everyone that I just passed will be secretly laughing at me as they pass me back! :o The goal is that I move up in rank while psyching everyone out, be able to recover while maintaining my pre-pick-up speed, and improve my time. I have always been too chicken to try this, but as I will be in unfamiliar territory with no idea who my competition is, I think the time has come. I believe I am up for the challenge. Wish me luck and I'll report back after this holiday weekend. Remember those who gave their lives in the fight for freedom and those that are currently fighting overseas in one country or another. Thanks.

Danielle
07-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Hey, sounds like a pretty good plan. Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you. You seem confident, so that's a good sign. :D

daniel_6_mile_man
07-01-2006, 07:03 PM
good luck! It's a good idea to try it in a situation like this!

I've (and soem of my friends) tried this strategy beforeand it has worked out out for us so it could for you as well.

snake
07-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Weeellllllllll. Which excuse shall I start with :rolleyes: . Here is my story: There was a short but steep hill inserted into the very beginning of the race, probably right around the 1/2 mile mark. I was horribly surprised at how slow I ran up it, how heavy my legs felt, and at the fact that at least 5 people passed me going up. I was then the one psyched out.:( There was then another long, gradual hill right around where I had thought I should surge. Not a bad hill by any means, and I may not have noticed it except for the fact that I was still trying to recover from the first evil hill. My plan was shot. I did try my best to be extra speedy on the downhills though.... So, I shall have to implement my plan another time on a familiar course. If I could go back and change anything, I would do a much longer warm-up. I think that may have helped a bit with the heaviness in my legs. While I was waiting for the awards ceremony, I ran the course again and my legs felt much better. My first mile was just under 7:00, my final time was 22:07, which is my best 5k race time of the season so far. The race committee was quite generous: because there are usually so many runners in the 30-39 and 40-49 age groups, the top 5 in those groups placed. I ended up 4th in my age group and took home a pretty pink medal. :p (Susan Komen Breast cancer fundraiser) That was a pleasant surprise. The overall winner (an acquaintance of mine) jogged it in 16:20, then went to work! Peace_Hope, one guy who placed also ran in the WBL race that I did. Your age group! I believe he was one of the top 3 overall as well.

Okay, long post today. Happy 4th of July!! I ran a local race this morning. A 4-mile on the 4th. At least a good half-mile stretch of nasty, bumpy, dusty gravel road, but if it wasn't flat, it was all downhill. How cool is that?! Let me tell you, I was so excited to pass the 3-mile mark in 20:48--couldn't believe it. I wish they would have had a 5k split mark. I was cruisin' today. Finished with a 28:15, was the 5th woman, and took first in my age group. Very exciting run for me today. I had not run since Saturday's race, and I did a 2-mile warm-up. I really needed this. Another 5k coming up on Saturday. I have family flying into town tomorrow and they are signed up as well. Wish me luck. We will be doing lots of carb loading ahead of time;) .

Danielle
07-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Congrats on the races, snake! I envy your times (I've slowed down waaay to much since my daughter was born). Good luck on your next 5K (but I'm sure you won't need it).