PDA

View Full Version : The value of a training partner

snake
06-26-2006, 05:27 AM
Yikes--I've had a weekend with not much sleep. My alarm went off at 5am and I REALLY wish I was back in bed instead of typing this. We both agreed to run at 6am as our day is packed full and she has to work at 8am. I can't call her to cancel or I'd wake up her whole family, so I must be accountable, get up, head over, and carry out the plan. Now, if I had the option to go back to bed and go later, well....the going back to bed part would get done and that's it, as I really have no other time to fit an hour run in today. I would also find every excuse not to go, the day would get away from me, and another day would go by with no workout. :( So, I am drinking a cup of coffee in the very bright lights of the kitchen and I am quickly feeling more lively, thank goodness. If I did not have my buddy to run with, I'd be a heckuva lot slower and fatter, that's for sure! She is very disciplined with her running--I am not. I appreciate her very much--it is very good for me to be held accountable to someone--she is my "team"! :) Well--I need to eat my pop tart and get dressed to go. We'll go for an hour and it will probably end up being 7 1/2 miles or so.

Danielle
06-26-2006, 08:48 AM
That's wonderful you have a dedicated training partner. I run alone. There's the occasional 'drop in' run with one of the locals at the park, but none of my friends or family are into running. I don't know, though, if I'd like a running partner all the time. For me, running is a peaceful event and I'm usually in la la land with my thoughts.

daniel_6_mile_man
06-26-2006, 11:33 AM
I run with my friends occasioanlly, but I am glad I run alone a lot because I always follow my same schedule before I run and it takes 3 hours (eat, drink lots of water for 3 hours lettign food digest, then warmup, stretch and run) none of my freinds run as much or are as dedicated so they dont liek running with me.

snake
06-27-2006, 02:18 PM
and it takes 3 hours (eat, drink lots of water for 3 hours lettign food digest, then warmup, stretch and run)

I suppose you don't ever run at 6am then??!!:D

Word2Action
06-28-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm currently training for boxing and running is a huge part of this. Running with my best friend and boxing partner has been a huge plus. I don't think you can overestimate the value of having a training partner. Without my running partner, I know that I don't have the will to keep on going it helps a lot.

CoachLevi
07-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Yeah, you really can't describe how much of a difference it makes. You wake up just wanting to sleep, but instead, you get ready to go because someone is counting on you. Usually they are in the same situation as far as wanting to sleep, but if you made plans, you follow through!