PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Minnesota!

snake
06-25-2006, 06:51 AM
I was an average runner in highschool. (class of 1985! :eek: ) To this day, my father still says that the coach ran us into the ground. We'd put on over 1,000 miles in our cross-country season. I ran the 400 (61.9) and 800 (2:23) in track. I attempted to run in college but lacked the discipline and motivation, which was a real shame, when I look back now. Started running again over the winter of 2001. Became hooked when I placed in a race and brought home a medal. :D At my age, it doesn't take much... My favorite race is the 5K as I can place in the 5K!! There are a lot of fabulous, fast runners here in the Twin Cities metro. They won't bother to drive over a half hour for "only" a 5K. Now, any time I run a 10K or 15K, or Half Marathon, I usually do NOT place in my age group, :( but I am okay with that. It all depends on who shows up! I am fortunate to be able to participate in a race just about every weekend from May through October. I have 3 kids (11,9,7) who enjoy running as well. There are a few races throughout the season that offer a kids one-mile so they come along for those. My husband does not run. Yet. ;) I'm trying to talk the oldest into a 5k but am getting nowhere. I train with a friend who runs Grandma's marathon every year. She is my personal trainer and therapist all in one! The miles fly by while we chat and solve all the world's problems. I still lack some discipline and motivation but she provides that for me. :) Glad to be a part of this forum!

Peace_Hope
06-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Hello Snake and welcome to the forum.

I am glad to see some more Minnesota people here :) Did you run in the White Bear Lake Manitou days 5K?

snake
06-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Why, yes I did and managed to barely place in my age group! Now you'll figure out who I am. Were you there? I run all of those races, so if you are a participant as well, we would recognize each other. I would recognize the back of you, anyway!! That was the first time for me running that particular race--I should have looked at the course map as then I would have known exactly where the finish line was and could have knocked quite a bit of time off as I am a strong finisher. Shame on me as I am old enough to know better...

Peace_Hope
06-25-2006, 08:09 PM
No I did not participate, however I am very good friends with some of the other athletes that ran. I have since talked to two of my friends that ran in it, and they placed #1, and #6 overall. Not bad, But I have never ran a 5K in my life either.

I will be doing Cross Country this coming season and will be looking forward to running with these great runners.