PDA

View Full Version : running with stroller??

solja'swife
06-22-2006, 11:27 AM
I am a stay at home mom and married to a soldier, for the most part if I want to run I have to take my daughter with me. I have a running stroller and have been using it to run on the road, but I have bad knees and it is very hard on them. I would like to do some running on softer ground, but I don't want to try it and hurt myself or my child. Has anyone else tried this? What type of ground? grass trail, mulched trail? TIA

Danielle
06-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Hi, there. Sorry, I don't have any answers for you. I am curious, though, does your daughter like the jogging stroller? I've been thinking about getting one so I can get more running in (I've got a 2.5 yr old).

solja'swife
06-27-2006, 10:04 AM
yes she loves it. I just give her a couple toys and a sippy cup and she is set. Sometimes it's difficult when she wants to talk and I can hardly breathe though. lol

Danielle
06-28-2006, 07:37 AM
solja'swife, I didn't even think about the talking part. My daughter is constantly talking and asking questions when we go for walking stroller rides.

(Gotham Dark Knight, that's hilarious.)

solja'swife
06-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Danielle~ I never thought about it, before I got the stroller either. lol but her toys keep her pretty much occupied. maybe if you give your duaghter a couple toys that she can only have when she's in the stoller it might help. also if you're going to get one check them out on ebay they have some really good deals. and remember to get one with a weather cover, so if it starts rainning the little one doesn't get wet. :)

Lyricb
06-29-2006, 09:27 AM
My daughter hates any sort of stroller, so the jogging stroller we bought sits collecting dust in the garage. It's just as well I suppose, because it was impossible to steer!:mad:

snake
06-29-2006, 10:00 AM
When I got back into running a few years ago, I had one on her bike and 2 (90 lbs-:eek: ) in my jog stroller. After maybe 2 weeks of about 3 miles each time out, a friend offered to watch them for an hour so I could go alone. Oh my goodness, did my upper body, arms and shoulders KILL me! My advice to you, especially if you are training for any particular events where you plan to be kid-less: Make sure to figure out how to get some runs in without the stroller so that your upper body gets some conditioning too. On the RARE occasion that I must use the stroller, I now notice that my legs sure get a very tough workout! Good for you for getting out there--it can be tough some days. Think of the GREAT example you are setting for your child/ren.:)

Danielle
07-04-2006, 11:08 AM
My daughter hates any sort of stroller, so the jogging stroller we bought sits collecting dust in the garage. It's just as well I suppose, because it was impossible to steer!:mad:

Ooh, I was shopping around the other day comparing jogging strollers and wondered about this. It seems impractical to make jogging strollers without wheels that turn. I know companies like to shave a few bucks, but this just seems ridiculous to me.

solja'swife
07-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Ooh, I was shopping around the other day comparing jogging strollers and wondered about this. It seems impractical to make jogging strollers without wheels that turn. I know companies like to shave a few bucks, but this just seems ridiculous to me.

they do it for safety reasons. Many models come with a locking swivel wheels. So when you are walking you can have the wheel that moves and when you're running you lock it. In the locked position they are hard to steer while walking, but pretty easy while running. I hope this helps.

mightymightyraider
08-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Around my house there are way too many hills for me to just be starting out with my daughter in a jogging stroller. I wanted to ask though will I get just as good of a workout if we go to the gym and run the flat oval track?

Bowlerguy92
08-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Well a track would be good. Its got fairly soft tar. You could run in the grass if you wanted to buy the stroller may prove to be a problem. I would say the best thing would be a running track at a high school or college.

mommyX2
08-15-2006, 10:10 AM
I am looking forward to going out and getting a double jogging stroller. Does anyone have any reccomendations of what I should take a look at? I went to babies r us the other day and they had a reall nice JEEP double jogger that I was looking at.