PDA

View Full Version : It is ok to run without shoes at all?

yuppie
06-20-2006, 04:37 AM
Saying I have a very good road without small stones and other crap...Is it safe to run long distances without shoes, what do you think?

Peace_Hope
06-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Yes, I think it is fine to run without shoes, I do it all the time in the grass and I have a friend that runs on the track barefoot because he has flat feet and cannot wear shoes because they hurt his feet.

I think as long as you pay a little bit more attention to where you are stepping, you sould be just fine.

Besides, isn't that how the kenyans train? Barefoot?

tfw_c
06-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Yea, I agree. It does hurt abit when you are flat feet. That's apply to my feet and that's why I am not running so reguarly nowadays.

DalipJ
06-20-2006, 05:12 PM
I would rather take shoes. Much better in my opinion :)

akilles13
06-20-2006, 05:41 PM
You probably get used to running without shoes after awhile when your feet toughen up. Plus, you're a pound or two lighter. :p

mis_chiff
06-20-2006, 07:59 PM
If you feel you run better with bare feet, I'd be looking at your shoes.
Running should be comfortable, bare feet won't allow your body to absorb
the impact properly and you may end up with problems later in life.

Gmason
06-20-2006, 08:05 PM
no. you are going to develop food problems.. wear nice running shoes. spend extra bucks to get a nice pair.. it surely makes a big difference

Danielle
06-21-2006, 10:44 AM
I think those famous Kenyans run without shoes, if I recall correctly. Me, I couldn't run outside without shoes because I'd be too worried about stepping on glass or rusty nails. However, when I exercise inside the house, I do run in place and do jumping jacks barefoot. Been doing this for years with no problems.

RainMan
06-21-2006, 12:07 PM
I would agree with Peace that it is fine. I find that the rare occasion that I run without shoes, I feel much lighter, and I seem to run alot smoother as well. Hard to explain I know, but feels more right.

smub
06-21-2006, 01:41 PM
i say yes you can run without shoes, but you are just taking a risk. If you are planning on going pro, i would suggest you to be as much careful as possible. Running on a grass, barefeet its ok.. but u can always twist ur toe and stuff in unstable ground. Running track barefoot can cause blisters. So just a heads up

Word2Action
06-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Well I'm from Brooklyn and running without shoes just sounds dangerous to me :confused: . I am flat footed but I try my best to run anyway. The best I've done was 7 minute mile. For a guy my size and weight, I think thats honorable. (6'3" 235 lbs)

CoachLevi
07-07-2006, 08:38 AM
There's no shortage of people running barefoot...

nikerunner
08-05-2006, 10:12 PM
I personally love running barefoot, it gets the blood flowing :)

RunningJim
08-06-2006, 09:57 AM
I actually know someone who has falling arches and it is very hard for him to run with shoes on because of the pressure, so he finds it a lot more comfortable to run without shoes on, on no matter what surface we are running. It is pretty impressive to me some of the different surfaces he runs on without shoes, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

sauconygal
08-08-2006, 01:55 PM
With the ankle injury that I had a few years ago, I could not imagine running without the support of shoes. I would probably hurt myself again!

anuban1976
06-07-2007, 10:27 PM
running barefoot is good but only on grass.

werner
06-08-2007, 09:53 AM
If you feel you run better with bare feet, I'd be looking at your shoes.
Running should be comfortable, bare feet won't allow your body to absorb
the impact properly and you may end up with problems later in life.This man is partially correct.

However, at the same time...
If your stride is smooth, fluid, and physiologically correct, you should be able to get away with light, 2-4 mile runs in grass or sand while barefoot.

barto
09-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Yes, Ok but if you feel you run better with bare feet, I'd be looking at your shoes.

Dozz
01-26-2010, 01:30 AM
A lot of good runners swear by running barefoot. It is not for me.

I run mostly on trail in the woods and rural trails, none of which are developed. My feet would be mighty sore mighty fast if I went barefoot. I wouldn't even want to walk on those trails barefoot, let alone run. ouch.

CoachLevi
10-05-2010, 11:04 PM
After getting into running barefoot, I hate running in regular sneakers!

Swoosh2010
11-17-2010, 02:23 AM
I've sprained my ankle pretty badly before by running on a trail barefoot. Ever since learning my lesson the hard way, I always wear a good pair of running shoes for the ankle support (http://www.ultraankle.com) as well as shock absorption. I swear by my Nike Lunarglides. They're so lightweight!

CoachLevi
07-14-2011, 04:58 AM
Here's an article from a chiropractor about running barefoot: