PDA

View Full Version : Do you talk while you race?

Peace_Hope
05-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Have you ever heard of those runners caught in a marathon or 1/2 marathon that talk to each other while running? I think it is kind of crazy, because aren't they doing it to win?!?

They are wasting their oxygen, give it to me and I will use it.

troy
05-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Don't talk to me if I'm running. I'm not a running direction giver so don't ask me how to get to the interstate. I'm working here people, leave me the heck alone.

CoachLevi
05-18-2006, 07:10 AM
I always talk to people in long-distance events (if I'm not too winded, that is...)

I'm usually not running to win (I'm not from Kenya) so I just enjoy myself. It helps ease the pain.

But in bike races, when I'm there to win, I still talk to people. Sometimes for fun, and sometimes to break their focus. Racing is a mental game. For example, I now know that troy could get annoyed if I talked to him... so I would talk to him and get him angry, at which point he could lose focus and I could run past him ;)

moor2k6
05-22-2006, 11:28 PM
talking may be the thing to be conisdered ,I tried my first speed workout not too long ago, and it was a warm sunny day. When I was done, my muscles felt cold, to the point where I was shivering!! Anyone know what causes this? I mean, more of an explanation than overworking the muscles or something. Anyone know how to avoid it?

naidu
05-23-2006, 06:21 AM
I cann't talk while running. I have to grasp for my breath if I had to speak. But if I start speaking I will get distracted.

moor2k6
05-25-2006, 09:22 PM
It takes a while to understand all of your body's types of pain. Some are good. Some are bad. So I generally train in an associative mental state. Sometimes to a fault. I'm always watching numbers, heart rates, etc. It gets tiring to do this all the time. It's why I enjoy with friends, like I did this past weekend. That's largely a form of dissociative thinking. We talk about life, etc and our minds leave the pain of the training

akilles13
06-17-2006, 12:59 PM
If I talk in a race, it's just a quick word of encouragement or strategy--I don't want to waste much breath. I'll talk sometimes when I'm running long-distance in practice because it can help to pass the time and make it more enjoyable.

eneagirl
06-18-2006, 01:46 PM
I just think about aerobic instructors. Basically it is like running to teach a high impact aerobic class and talk to the class at the same time. I think it is a behaivor that can be learned, it just takes practice, practice, practice :)

Gotham Dark Knight
06-19-2006, 08:26 AM
I think its hard to talk in a race when I am trying to go all out. At least I find it really hard. The noteable exception is when I was hitting on a girl at a water stop...:)

But I usually carry a conversation while I am jogging with a friend. my jogging pace is a minute or two a mile slower than race pace.

PCWebAdvice
06-19-2006, 02:06 PM
I have never talked during a run. I am always zoned in on trying to get as far ahead of other runners as I can. I think it is quite arrogant to be honest.

eneagirl
06-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Gotham Knight - you are so funny. How oftern do you jog and talk with your friends?
That's a good idea - incorporating socializing with exercising.

I might try it with jogging. Any tips Gotham?

yuppie
06-20-2006, 04:31 AM
It is well-known, that talking while running is bad, because it brings down breath.

Gotham Dark Knight
06-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Gotham Knight - you are so funny. How oftern do you jog and talk with your friends?
That's a good idea - incorporating socializing with exercising.

I might try it with jogging. Any tips Gotham?

Yeah, get your talking in during the first half of the run...let your friends talk during the later part when you are both a bit more winded...:)

Word2Action
06-28-2006, 02:11 PM
I ususally tell myself that I shouldn't talk so much because that wastes energy and oxygen, but when I'm running with my running parner I tend to talk a lot. This takes much of the focus off the task at hand and you don't even realize how far you've gone after a while.

snake
06-29-2006, 08:19 AM
I ususally tell myself that I shouldn't talk so much because that wastes energy and oxygen, but when I'm running with my running parner I tend to talk a lot. This takes much of the focus off the task at hand and you don't even realize how far you've gone after a while.

I agree-- My buddy and I call our workouts our "therapy session":) I do not have any experience with heart monitors, but I believe talking while running is the natural monitor for either slowing down or picking up the pace. When I race a 5k, I usually do not say more than a few sentences as we are starting. If I am able to be chatty, that means I have started too slowly and vice-versa. When racing a 10k or 15k, or 1/2M, heck--aside from the first mile whan you are claiming your spot, conversation is nice. The miles fly by, you make a new friend, you usually run a bit faster, and life is good.

Riggy
07-06-2006, 12:31 AM
I'm usually running by myself at the gym on the indoor track, so no problem there. When I'm running outside with a friend we usually limit our talking to a minimum. During one of the last 5K runs I did, I was running with my friend, the Navy Seal. The only real talking we did during the race as I remember was him urging me on in true Navy fashion!

Riggy;)

mightymightyraider
08-09-2006, 11:35 AM
I could not imagine even trying to talk to someone during a race. I can barely breath by the end and would not waste any oxygen to try and carry a coversation with anyone. Some people are just crazy.

sauconygal
08-11-2006, 12:18 PM
No way would I talk to someone during a race. The coach would kick my butt for sure if he saw that. I like to talk to people but there is a time and place for everything like you guys have said.

CoachLevi
08-12-2006, 07:30 AM
No way would I talk to someone during a race. The coach would kick my butt for sure if he saw that.

That reminds me of something our coach said when I was in high school - if anyone from the other team, especially a coach, asks how you are doing, say "fine, thanks" and nothing more. Couldn't reveal anything that they could use to strategize against us ;)

Bowlerguy92
08-12-2006, 01:23 PM
I never talk usually when I run. Sometimes I do in competitions. But usually not. I use that oxygen for myself and not to entertain them. I want to win and thats just what im doing when i'm not talking.

sauconygal
08-13-2006, 09:41 PM
That reminds me of something our coach said when I was in high school - if anyone from the other team, especially a coach, asks how you are doing, say "fine, thanks" and nothing more. Couldn't reveal anything that they could use to strategize against us ;)

Sounds like the coach that I have now. We are not really allowed to talk to the other team members at meets or anything. I sometimes feel bad because I do have some friends at these other schools and not talking to them make me feel like I am being snobby, but this is all part of the coach's plan and he seems to know what he is doing!

anuban1976
06-07-2007, 02:14 AM
i m not an athlete. but i usually talk in marathons or whilst jogging in the morning

suvi
06-07-2007, 02:35 AM
I tried to talk while running. But it was kinda hard to do.
________
SMOKE WEED EVERY DAY (http://smokeweedeveryday.org/)

ashish1987
06-07-2007, 02:35 AM
i have heard that talking while running tires you up all the more.
talking while jogging is ok.
also breathing through your mouth while you run makes to pant more and more.
can anyone tell me if this is correct??

suvi
06-07-2007, 02:36 AM
May be it has to do with my lack of conditioning
________
FORD CDW27 PLATFORM SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_CDW27_platform)

ashish1987
06-07-2007, 02:50 AM
lack of conditioning ???

hxfailx
06-07-2007, 06:56 AM
Don't do that! It's bad

deeprunxc1990
06-07-2007, 07:36 AM
Have you ever heard of those runners caught in a marathon or 1/2 marathon that talk to each other while running? I think it is kind of crazy, because aren't they doing it to win?!?

They are wasting their oxygen, give it to me and I will use it.

I ask stuff to my self when I race, most of the things aren't nice, and I hope the officials don't DQ me most of the time.