PDA

View Full Version : Water Between Races?

eneagirl
06-15-2006, 03:49 PM
I just wanted to let you guys know not to drink a lot of water before a race. I competed in Jr High. I had just finished a race and gulped a ton of water and had a race right after. I ended up getting cramps and threw up all the water.

How should runners rehyrdrate between races without getting sick? Any recommendations. Thanks.

Riggy
06-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Wow....that sounded familiar....I think I had the exact same Jr. High school experience. That was done on the advice of my coach. Of course, things have changed a lot since way back when. My coach also told me to eat a big Snickers bar for 'energy' right before a meet!

Riggy

Gmason
06-20-2006, 06:45 PM
hahah.. lol having lot of water in your stomach get you like that.. what else did you expect?

what you have to do is.. drink gatorade or poweraid. they didn't make this for no reason.. they hydrate you faster than regular water.. and don't drink so much water in between races cause it will only bring cramps. look at what boxers do.. they spit that water out..

Riggy
06-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Oh yeah, I think we could obviously figure out about the whole Gatorade thing, but what we were talking about was water, and in particular, being told by your coach to jug it down between races. It was about 100 years ago when I was running serious track in Junior and Highschool, and that's when my coach told us to down the water and have a Snickers.....believe the whole approach to running and training was really different way back when!

Riggy:rolleyes:

CoachLevi
07-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Oh yeah, I think we could obviously figure out about the whole Gatorade thing

It can't be that obvious with lots of people still suffering from hyponatremia!

eneagirl
07-08-2006, 02:02 AM
Yes... I have seen the Gatorade commercial in which it was invented. The guy is running and just near the finish line when he crashes... His whole body gives out.

It is great that we have sports drinks now. I've recently been drinking the new Gatorade replenish drinks. Lemon is my favorite flavor so far.