PDA

View Full Version : Why is it harder...

Lyricb
06-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Why is it harder for me (as a beginner) to run outside than it is inside on a treadmill? I'm guessing terrain has something to do with it, or maybe the digital readout on the treadmill keeps me motivated because I know exactly where I stand with distance and speed. Has anyone else encountered this?

akilles13
06-15-2006, 08:52 PM
If you're running primarily for health benefits or weight loss, that might be the reason. Like you said, it's easier to measure your status and progress on an exercise machine. However, most people I've encountered who run for fun like to run outside or at least on an indoor track. It's more freeing, not to mention way more realistic if you plan on racing.

Danielle
06-16-2006, 08:38 AM
On a treadmill you're not dealing with weather (blazing sun, strong wind against you, cold temps, etc.) and running on concrete is tougher on the joints. Also, I remember something about treadmills being less challenging because of something to do with the conveyor belt action of the treadmill. Maybe someone else could further elaborate on this; I can't recall the details for this.

eneagirl
06-17-2006, 11:05 AM
I think running outside also provides more sense of accomplishment... you can see a change of scenary and know that you have actually traveled a distance.

I also think it better stimulates the endorphins that keep us happy and healthy. It's good to feel the weather around you as you run.

PCWebAdvice
06-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Terrain, but not only that. Weather conditions could be problematic. For example humidity or the temperature. I know those always effect me.

Gmason
06-20-2006, 07:09 PM
tredmill thread is much softer and you are basically moving your legs but not your arms..

also indoors.. your body is use to indoors than outdoors.. just think about human evolution.. humans use to live outside.. we use to run more outside..

mommyX2
08-15-2006, 10:07 AM
I have to agree that I would much rather run on the treadmill because there are no hills, also there is less of a chance of me injuring myself since there is no holes and rocks on a treadmill.