PDA

View Full Version : Interesting 5K Plan for building up to race day

Peace_Hope
06-13-2006, 09:01 PM
I was surfing the net and found the chart below that listed how you should run in order to do good on your 5k race. Is this a good chart to go by or will it not be sufficient enough? I say this because i just ran 5+ miles today and according to this chart I really should not be.

What do you think?

daniel_6_mile_man
06-14-2006, 12:35 PM
I definitely wont do this...lol. Doesnt seem like their is enough mileage in the first 4 weeks. I mean taking 2 weeks (the week of and before) off from running 30 plus miles a week coudl be beneficial depending on the runner, but a whole month?? I think that'd be too much

Peace_Hope
06-14-2006, 12:48 PM
I agree, it just doesn't seem like a very good plan. But I have never ran a 5K before so I was interested in finding out the best way to get in prime shape for one.

If you have a different plan that would work, please let me know. Thanks :)

daniel_6_mile_man
06-15-2006, 07:10 AM
I have found that, for me, its better to keep the mileage up until one week before the race. Then instead of doing 30 or 40 miles a week, only do 10-20. The day bewfore should be a semi-hard run. Good diet and hydration is key too of course. Thats what has worked best for me. For example, here is somethign you could do the week before...(you could pick any day as a rest day except the day before because its important to get a decent run in then)

Day1- 4 miles hard
Day 2-Interval around 2 miles hard
Day 3- 3 Miles EASy
Day 4- Rest
Day 5- 4 miles easy
Day 6- 3 miles easy
Race day

Peace_Hope
06-15-2006, 07:40 AM
Great, I will have to try that and then see how I can do. For you what kind of times do you shoot for for 4 miles hard and easy?

daniel_6_mile_man
06-15-2006, 11:12 AM
For hard 4 miles I aim for anywhere from 25-30 mintues....easy 4 miles I aim for 35-40 minutes. All you need to do is when your doign the easy run go at a very comfortable pace, kind of like stride outs in a way.

Riggy
06-15-2006, 01:05 PM
This is sort of off the subject, but I just had to pass this on....Daniel 6 mile man....I LOVE your signature line! What a great inspiration for runners. I have a real tendency to be lazy with my running schedule. I think I'm going to copy it and taped it to the mirror! I'm new to the site and just had to let you know how great your signature is.

Thanks!

Riggy

daniel_6_mile_man
06-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Thansk Riggy, these were my ALLTIME favorite quotes so I just had to put them on! It inspires me a lot! Because a lot of runners are often worried about their times or how hard they train, etc. Sometimes you just have to love goign out and just running for fun! Appreciating the gift you have been given!