PDA

View Full Version : What type of food is best for energy?

moor2k6
05-30-2006, 07:59 AM
What type of food is best for energy?
Carbohydrate (CHO) is the most efficient form of energy and all athletes are recommended to follow a high carbohydrate diet. Carbohydrate-rich foods include bread, crackers and bagels; pasta, noodles, rice and couscous; breakfast cereals; fruit and milk.
The longer you spend training the more carbohydrate you need. The table below will help you calculate your daily carbohydrate needs.

Duration of TrainingCHO needs1-2 hours/day6-7g CHO/Kg body weight/day2-4 hours/day7-8g CHO/Kg body weight/day4+ hours/day8-10g CHO/Kg body weight/daySo, if you weigh 68kg when you begin training, you should be eating 408g CHO every day. This should be spread throughout the day. For example, aim to eat 100g CHO with each main meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner), 50g CHO as a snack two hours before training and a 50g CHO snack directly after training.
For example, to reach the 100g carbohydrate target at main meals, include any two of the following foods or drinks at every meal:

•Breakfast cereal, milk and sugar (large bowl);•Toast (4 slices);•Sandwich/roll (2 rounds of sandwiches or demi-baguette);•Pasta-based meal like spaghetti bolognaise or lasagne;•Potatoes (2 large, baked);•Rice (4 serving spoons);•Noodles (400g);•Soft Tortillas (flour tortilla wraps);•Fruit juice (500ml);•Apple/banana/orange;•Fruit yoghurt/yoghurt drink (2 pots);•2 pints milk.If you are finding it difficult to eat the large amounts of carbohydrate recommended for sport, sports drinks, some of which contain up to 50g CHO per can will help meet your carbohydrate needs. Sweets and confectionery bars also have a high carbohydrate content and can be used occasionally to top up your daily carbohydrate intake.
The following foods contain 50g CHO and will be helpful as snacks between meals to help top up your carbohydrate needs:

•2 crusty bread rolls;•4 slices toast;•6 jaffa cakes;•Large bowl of cereal;•5 fig rolls;•1 Mars bar;•2 cans Lucozade Sport;•1 can of Gatorade NRG.

naidu
05-31-2006, 05:05 AM
Bananas are also a very good source of instant energy. My coach advises to eat bananas before race.

moor2k6
06-07-2006, 12:54 AM
Pls try some chocolate---
This treat can increase blood flow to the brain, particularly to the
orbital frontal cortex and the midbrain--areas also activated by addictive drugs such as cocaine. To get the most out of your indulgence, choose dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate, because it's packed with antioxidants.

Danielle
06-21-2006, 10:38 AM
I do best by eating a chocolate covered protein bar an hour before running. But, really, I don't generally think about which foods will give me the most energy. Having energy is more of a mental thing with me than food-related.

Gmason
06-21-2006, 02:56 PM
yeah thats nice.. sugar suppose to give you quick energy.. lot of runners eat little bit of sugar/candy right before the race

eneagirl
07-08-2006, 01:55 AM
I agree with the pasta posters earlier, however it is most beneficial for the body the day before so you have the energy the next day. Most swimmers and runners will eat large portions of spaghetti the night before a big meet or race.