PDA

View Full Version : To Wear or Not To Wear a Wetsuit

moor2k6
05-30-2006, 07:16 AM
Triathletes whom I run into and coach always want to know how much money they need to spend to achieve their triathlon goals. While there are several pieces of equipment that can legitimately improve performance, a wetsuit is something that potentially yields very significant results. In most cases a wetsuit can not only save you 5-10 seconds per 100 yards, but also require less energy to do so. If swimming is your least favorite triathlon leg, a wetsuit can help. Not only can a wetsuit make you more buoyant, therefore correcting body position, but it can also add a sense of security if the water makes you uncomfortable. Since a wetsuit helps you float, it make it very easy for you to stay "on top" of the water.

CoachLevi
05-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Yes, the buoyancy is very helpful (in triathlons) especially for people like me that run and bike but don't swim too much.

And don't forget, they're critical in cold water! Keeping your body warm is another big benefit.

moor2k6
06-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Scientific studies have shown that wet suits improve swimming speed more in short events (400 metres) than in longer ones (1500 metres) and help lean swimmers far more than corpulent ones. The special edge for skinny swimmers occurs because one of the main effects of a neoprene wetsuit is to improve an individual's buoyancy. Plump people already have decent buoyancy because they have their own built-in wet suits - blankets of blubber encasing their frames. Skinny people float badly because they have little buoyant blubber, and their heavy body parts (bones and muscles) tend to sink like stones

sauconygal
08-13-2006, 09:49 PM
Interesting! I had never give much thought to wearing a wetsuit when I swim. I mean I am not doing any competitive swimming but do use it as part of my work out for track and field and cross country. I might have to give this a try and see how it works out for my workouts.