PDA

View Full Version : downhill hurts knees?

moor2k6
05-28-2006, 01:01 PM
while out on a jog one day a few months back i met someone who told me not to jog downhill as it does damage to your knees. is this true? if so what can be done to prevent this apart from changing my route.

daniel_6_mile_man
05-29-2006, 09:07 AM
I haven't heard specifically that downhills do damage to your knees, but I've heard down stairs do, so it makes sense that hills do too, but I don't think if you do downhills the damage would be as big. How steep is the hill? If it isn't that steep just keep going. If it is steep, just keep the form still, maybe slow down a little.

CoachLevi
05-30-2006, 12:38 PM
There's a little more impact when you're going downhill, so it would make sense if there's a bit more damage too. Downhills have always been the most painful parts of races for me.

You could walk the downhills instead, that's one solution.

sauconygal
08-08-2006, 02:02 PM
I know that I really feel it in my knees when I am running down hill so I am sure that there has to be some merit in this. I really hate running stairs and having to come down, the impact on my knees from the concrete steps sucks!

snake
08-09-2006, 08:26 AM
When running downhill, I run FAST!!!! I call it "Free Speed" :D It's my built in speed workout as I have hills all around town.

Make sure you shorten your stride--short, choppy feeling steps, just speed up your leg turnover. (You should not necessarily be expending more energy that you will need to go up the next hill!) Do not overstride--that's when you can get hurt. Keep your feet under your body. Make sure you are coming down on your heel to have your shoe help cushion the impact. In a long race with some hills thrown in, they can make you or break you, so make sure to practice hill running when you can. Initially it will feel funny and unnatural, but you'll get it! Hills are your friend.:)

JimOakly
08-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Well i know that when i used to do downhill my knees would hurt like hell. I would be trying not to get ahead of myself and fall so my knees were being jammed up into the socket. I hated downhill. So i suppose that could be true.