PDA

View Full Version : Running and Breathing

moor2k6
05-28-2006, 12:57 PM
I've been tying to get back into shape tojoin the army.
I weight 145 with a height 5 foot 8. I don't smoke or have any ashatma that I know of.
I ran the two mile run today at 23 minutes( I know this is bad for age).
I am having some problems breathing. I know my legs need to get into shape too. My question is; is there a "good form" of breathing for this kind of running.

forumposters
06-19-2006, 07:44 PM
This is not an option for me as I almost always have allergies and can't breathe through my noise without straining my lungs.

Danielle
06-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Any breathing is good breathing, I always say!;) Seriously, though, you just need to be comfortable. If you're just picking up running again, then breathing hard is to be expected. Also, running in polluted areas (moving cars, factories, etc) can bring about exercise-induced asthma. Oh, and pollen will do it, too.

tfw_c
06-20-2006, 02:24 PM
I am going for a run soon after 6 mth of non-training exercise...I really need to pick up running again...

Gmason
06-20-2006, 06:43 PM
you can go through breathing technique classes.. check with your local health gyms? it can definitely help you out. i needed because when i was working out.. i would get tired quicker when i didn't even do much.. breathing right helps you because you are getting more oxygen

eneagirl
06-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Breathing correctly while running can also help in keeping your heart rate in check.
It is good to monitor your heart rate during your run. I usually check my pulse on my neck with my first and second fingers.

Annnoura
07-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Your suppose to inhale through the nose, then exhale through the mouth. :rolleyes: Although i don't know about the proper timing... :cool:

CoachLevi
07-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Be sure to take deep breaths and make sure your stomach expands, not your chest.

mightymightyraider
08-07-2006, 11:39 AM
I think that since you are just getting going again that the pace that you set must allow for comfortable breathing. My advice is to not over do it and allow yourself to feel good even if your time is not exactly what you are looking for. It will improve with time.

16ultramarathoner
05-17-2008, 06:55 PM
hey if your getting back into it good for you i would suggest getting a nasal spray and using it right before running and to clear your nostrils. also right before running breathe (almost to hypervenilation) this will jump up your oxygen lvls and allow you to run longer before going into oxygen debt.

ian23
06-02-2008, 02:07 AM
you were having problems of breathing because its been a long while since u jog... if you continue to jogging, eventually your body will get used to... and you'll be in great shape...

sub18xc
08-25-2008, 09:08 PM
people say breathe through the nose out through the mouth, but in my case i jsut get much more oxyg. debt doing that than jsut breathing,jsut breathe.
somthing that may help you though, to get in better shape would be a watch that has a heart rate monitor.this way you can really push yourself to get in good shape.
good luck in the army, and thanks.

Achilles
12-30-2008, 05:14 PM
just breathe slowly to keep your heart rate in check and do a bunch of easy distance run days. running for 60min twice a week will help tons. also try nasal strips

sp33dyf33t
02-16-2009, 10:15 PM
what i usually try to do is alternate inhaling and exhaling every two steps. it will help keep your pace consistent and your body sync with itself

Rabbit
02-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Ideal breathing is through the mouth, with a 3:2 ratio, as in breathe in 3 strides, exhale 2 strides. It may feel unnatural at first, but you exchange much more oxygen and it helps balance your gait. You can run with a 2:2 ratio while in a dead sprint, but try to use 3:2 as much as possible.

Like CoachLevi said, you want to expand your stomach, don't run with a heaving chest unless you want a wicked stitch.

povar
04-30-2009, 02:45 AM
The ideal breathing is threw the nose and not the mouth.