PDA

View Full Version : Make cereal more nutritious

naidu
05-24-2006, 05:26 AM
To make cereals more nutritious, buy only whole grain cereals with little or no sugar. Add wheat germ to your cereal. A half cup supplies more than half your magnesium and foliate needs, 60% of your vitamin E and trace minerals like iron and zinc.

moor2k6
05-24-2006, 12:04 PM
pls try this one ,tastes good
Oatmeal and Fruit

4 servings Quaker Oats
1 can drained raspberries
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk or
fat free sweetened condensed skim milk
Add raspberries and sweetened condensed milk to hot prepared oats.

Danielle
07-16-2006, 08:40 PM
I like to add organic ground flaxseed sometimes to my cereal (and in other foods, too). It's low-calorie and it a good source of fiber and omega-3. Plus, it doesn't ruin the flavor of other foods. It also makes for a good oil replacement (just add water).

snake
07-17-2006, 08:37 AM
My new favorite cereal is Honey-Nut shredded wheat. The bad part would be the sugar content, but I figure it is better than the fat content in the bag of chips I'm trying to stay away from :rolleyes: It satisfies my need to crunch. I have tried the plain shredded wheat and I am just not willing to choke it down--food is be enjoyed.

The first ingredient is whole grain wheat. Here are the stats with a 1/2 c. skim milk:
fat=1.5g
sodium=70mg
potassium=170
Total carbs=44g
(DIETARY FIBER=5g!!!!!:D )
(sugars=12g :( )
(other carbs=27g)
Protein=4g

It's very tasty and the kids love it too. We eat it out of the bag with no milk. Try some.