PDA

View Full Version : treadmill training

moor2k6
05-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Hi,

Is it ok to start out running on a treadmill? I am going to begin the Couch-5k training program and I belong to a gym and I am wondering if running on a treadmill is going to help. Obviously at some point I will have to start running outside. My friend said he could easily run 5 miles at one point on a treadmill but he seems to think that doing it outside on flat terrain is totally different (as far as it being a lot harder). I have been working out for about 6 months like I said in another post but haven't done too much running (mainly, bike, elliptical, walking on the treadmill, weights).

Thanks for any help.

CoachLevi
05-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Well running on the treadmill is better than nothing! There's no reason not to start out on the treadmill, it's still running. Don't worry :)

Jokerz
05-23-2006, 03:24 PM
as long as your stride is huge it's alright

moor2k6
05-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Treadmill training is great to get started, or to mix in, or during circumstances when it is very difficult to run outside. It is absolutely true that you need to eventually get a large percentage of your training in on roads if that's where you'll be racing. A treadmill at 0 incline is equivalent to a slight downhill grade. Nonetheless, it is a great place to start building a running base and developing general running fitness. Also, it is very low impact, compared to roads, so you will have less likelihood of an injury while you are building up.

ashish1987
06-07-2007, 03:14 AM
treadmill training is good but there's nothing like early morning fresh air

ashish1987
06-07-2007, 03:15 AM
^^ and as of now they dont build treadmills with that option !!! ;)

anuban1976
06-07-2007, 03:18 AM
even i had the same question. what about placing the tread mill

should it be parrallel to the floor or on some 15-20 degree angle from the floor.

ashish1987
06-07-2007, 03:36 AM
it should me on some angle to the floor.
treadmill should never be parallel to the floor

anuban1976
06-07-2007, 03:47 AM
it should me on some angle to the floor.
treadmill should never be parallel to the floor

yea thas what someone else told me, but its really very easy if we place the treadmill just parallel to the floor

anuban1976
06-07-2007, 03:49 AM
All the treadmills I have seen had a setting where we could raise/lower angle of elevation of the belt. You have to do what is comfortable to you.

suvi

It could be parallel to the floor. Only thing is that is less work on the muscles than an elevated position.

suvi

the one i have doesnt have that setting of raising/lowering the angle of elevation of the belt. its preset to some angle from the floor which really hardens the workout. :o

but if its place parallel to the floor, its really very very easy to brisk walk on the tread mill

hxfailx
06-07-2007, 06:53 AM
treadmill training is good, but jogging outside is better