05-20-2006, 11:25 AM
To get the best out of your running training sessions you should always:
warm up
stretch
cool down.Your warm up should include:

Gentle loosening exercises
Jogging
Static stretching
Event specific exercise, e.g. sprinting or jumping over hurdles.That way when you are properly warmed up you have less chance of pulling muscles and injury.

moor2k6
05-22-2006, 11:21 PM
sleep patterns
has anybody found that the earlier you go to bed before midnight the quicker you run! giving the same amount of sleep, nutrition etc.! just was reading a magazine and seemed to be suggesting this.....any tips appreciated

CoachLevi
05-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Yes, definitely warmup before you stretch.

CoachLevi
05-23-2006, 01:59 PM
sleep patterns
has anybody found that the earlier you go to bed before midnight the quicker you run! giving the same amount of sleep, nutrition etc.! just was reading a magazine and seemed to be suggesting this.....any tips appreciated

Never heard or noticed this. That's a pretty hard variable to isolate in tests. Not that I see it making a difference anyway.

Riggy
06-19-2006, 12:47 PM
That's great advice regarding warming up prior to running. I really like doing the calf and ankle stretches in particular. I notice that if I am lazy and don't do these stretches, as soon as I start running I have a tight uncomfortableness in my lower legs and ankles.
Stretching sure helps me a lot!

Riggy

Gotham Dark Knight
06-19-2006, 04:46 PM
sleep patterns

Might help...I remember running a 5KM after dancing all night long the night before...man that was a hard run.

in my younger days, I use to make fun of my friends who went to bed by 9 PM the day before a run...but maybe he was onto something.