PDA

View Full Version : The best foods for a runner

Peace_Hope
05-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Nutritional Foods:

Carbohydrates - Runners need more carbs than nonrunners to fuel their working muscles - about three grams for every pound of body weight. Reach for nutrient-packed carbs, such as baked potatoes in their skins.
Protein - Runners also need extra protein to fuel muscle repair. Eat about 70 to 100 grams per day in the form of lean red meat, eggs, poultry, seafood, and soy.
Omega-3-Fats - These essential fats precent disease and boost immunity. Get the few grams per day you need by making fish, flaxseed meal, and nuts part of your regular diet.
Zinc - This mineral helps you recover from injuries and assists in the creation of new blood cells. Zinc powerhouses include clams, oysters, red meat, poultry, and fish. Wheat germ and beans are also good source.
Vitamin C - As an antioxidant, vitamin C counters the oxidative damage that occurs during exercise. Kiwi and papaya are stellar sources, as are strawberries, green peppers, and tomatoes.Favorite Foods

Salmon - It's a top-notch protein source and provides other important running nutrients like omega-3s, calcium, zinc, and copper.
Sports Drinks - Because they provide fast-acting carbs, water, and electrolytes, sports drinks are indispensable on long runs.
Sandwich - A well-constructed sandwich supplies carbs and protein, making it the perfect recovery food. Combine whole-grain bread; four ounces lean meat, tuna, or tofu; a light spread; tomato slices; and leafy green lettuce.
Butternut Squash - Best because it's loaded with carbs, potassium, and carotenes. Microwave in chunks, then mash like potatoes, or grill or stir-fry in small cubes.
Trail Mix - The perfect runner's snack-nuts for essential fats and minerals, dried fruit for key vitamins, soy nuts for protein, and M&Ms for a runner's soul.
More to come soon...

Source: Runner's World Magazine

moor2k6
05-22-2006, 10:47 PM
I've run 4 marathons, all self trained (with help from sources like you folks, thanks!) I am now training for the Marathon with a group that advocates taking salt on the long runs. Their only explanation is the obvious, salt comes out, salt must go back in. But these guys literally showed up at practice with a bag of salt packets and said, "just grab a couple and scarf 'em down during the run". I passed, but what gives? Is the sodium in Gatorade not enough? Are people really eating salt on runs? Right out of a packet? I tend to get nausious during a marathon, and if this would help I'm in, but I've not heard this discussed much. Thanks for all the useful info!