PDA

View Full Version : Run with music or not?

Peace_Hope
05-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Do you run to music? What kind of music do you think is best?

I personally like running to either hip-hop, rock, rap, or r&b music.

It just sounds the best, and gets a good beat going to keep you up and moving.

RunningJim
05-04-2006, 09:10 AM
I like running with music myself. Nickelback is an awesome group to listen to while running. It just gets you thinking and motivated to run harder and faster :)

ravs2k6
05-05-2006, 04:19 AM
There are many benefits of listening to music while running. For some it is a time to catch up on news or listen to the ballgame, a form of multitasking perhaps. For others it is energizing to have certain songs push them on in their run. Still for others it just helps pass the time, especially on the long runs. Would you take a road trip in your car with no music? Well, why, then, take this road trip without music?

Maverick
05-05-2006, 08:53 AM
I run with music all the time like i'll run with the beat of the song or i will listen to some Air force/ marine corps cadances and just run a extra distance listing to one of them

ravs2k6
05-06-2006, 02:59 AM
1) Mary J. Blige - Family AffairUltra-steady jogging beat with a hypnotic hook. Mary J. is always inspirational.
2) Coldplay - Clocks

There are a number of Coldplay tracks that I think could work, but for me "Clocks" is the classic at this point. I feel a pleasant rush just listening even without the exercise.

zSB(3,3);if(!z336){var zIsb=gEI("adsb");if(zIsb){zIsb.style.display="inline";zIsb.style.height="0px";zIsb.style.width="0px";}var zIss=gEI("adss");if(zIss){zIss.style.display="inline";zIss.style.height="0px";zIss.style.width="0px";}}Online Running JournalKeep track of your miles and your fitn

3) Fatboy Slim - The Rockafeller Skank

Contemporary sample-laden dance music. I think this track can effectively fuel an intense workout.

4) A Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran

This is for that 80's synth-rock fan in you. It's a great atmospheric sound, and, of course, the lyrical tie-in to running.

5) Killers - All These Things That I've Done

This is the current single by this hot Las Vegas based band. In my mind it's very inspirational particularly when it breaks into the singalong "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier" chorus.

6) Moby - Bodyrock

This one works well with "The Rockafeller Skank." The video is a must-see for the workout Moby puts a buddy through.

7) Scissor Sisters - Laura

That insistent piano beat will fuel a good jog. For some Scissor Sisters are an acquired taste. For others its an update on Elton John's mid-70's piano pop.

8) Simple Minds - Alive and Kicking

This is for the days when everything is feeling and working great. It is also another great 80's tune that builds into a positively glorious pop sound.

9) Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time

This is Britney's first hit, and I think possibly still the best. That insistent beat is a good soundtrack for a run.

10) Usher - Yeah!

If you want a little hip hop to add to the soundtrack, this a great recent hit. Program it in right next to Mary J. Blige.

function obL(a){if(a[0]!="Elsewhere on the Web"){var uc=(a[0]=="Related Resources"||a[0]=="Suggested Reading")?"18/19C":"18/19D";w("<div class='obJB'>"+a[0]+"

");var i=1;while(a[i]){if(a[i+1].substring(0,26)=="http://video.about.com/gv/")a[i+1]="javascript:zpu('','http://clk.about.com/?zi=18/1K3&zu="+a[i+1]+"',470,450,'vp',(screen.width-470)/2,(screen.height-450)/2)"var p=(a[i+1].charAt(0)=='/')?"http://"+gs+".about.com":"";w(x2+p+a[i+1]+x1+' onClick="zT(this,\''+uc+'\')'+x1+'>'+a[i]+'');i+=2;}w("
"+x6);}}if(this.zLb&5){if(this.zIoa1){obL(zIoa1);}if(this.zIoa2){obL(z Ioa2);}if(this.zIoa3){obL(zIoa3);}}

CoachLevi
05-18-2006, 07:14 AM
I used to run with my mp3 player a lot, it really helped to pass the time. The thing is, if you're just passing the time, you're not really in-tune to your body or the workout.

Lately I've been running without any music, although that's partly due to the fact that my mp3 player broke...

naidu
05-19-2006, 05:03 AM
I run with my Ipod nano. Its actually very lite. I too prefer hip-hop music while running.

Peace_Hope
05-19-2006, 09:51 PM
I am deaf in one ear and do most of my running on roads, so I never listen to music. Afraid I might not hear the car coming and since I only hear out one ear when I hear a car I can't tell which direction it is coming from (I live in the foothills and the roads are not straight to see far in any direction). But I bet that it would be nice to occupy your mind with music especially on long runs.

Sorry to hear that. Do you listen to music when you run on a treadmill? Because there are not many cars you have to listen to there. :)

moor2k6
05-25-2006, 09:29 PM
By turning on their favorite tunes and turning off the conversations and noises around them, they can relax themselves and just give in to the run. This can be especially useful for people running in urban areas after work.
Listening to music while running can also help keep you going on those days that you feel like each footstep is a struggle. Whether you listen to hardcore rock or military cadences or the Rocky theme on those hard days, having an extra push from the music can help bust through those slumps.

Danielle
06-18-2006, 08:08 AM
If I'm on a gym treadmill, then I listen to a hard rock band like Godsmack. Outside, I usually want to be able to hear noise around me (cars, other people, etc.). Sometimes, though, I really need music even on my outdoor runs. For those times, I'll listen at the beginning of the run, just for motivation to get me going.

eneagirl
06-19-2006, 08:34 PM
I love running to music. My choice is rock music - INXS (new stuff) is my current favorite. If the music is too mellow I won't follow through with going the full distance on my run. So I take something really upbeat with me. Gets my blood pumping and my ambition flowing.

Peace and Hope - What bands in your music choices of RAP, R&B, rock and hip-hop do you regularly run to? I am not really that familiar with hip hop/rap. Would love to hear some recommendations.

mis_chiff
06-20-2006, 07:47 PM
I use the earphones when I'm home running, but out on the street, too much
going on around me - got to stay focused...

Gmason
06-20-2006, 08:02 PM
i prefer running with music indoors but outdoors can be scary thing depends on where you are running... traffic could be pain in the butt.. watch out for people bad drivers

Word2Action
06-27-2006, 03:41 PM
I absolutely have to run with my music on. It's what gives me the motivation to continue. I dare say that I can almost feel the electricity from my headphones flowing in me just giving me the energy to make that extra push. I love it.

TheFron
08-05-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy running more, which would make me run more often, if i did listen to music. But i don't have an iPod yet, and my only mp3 player is my PSP, it may be portable but too big to tie to my arm, and I'm not risking holding it.

anuban1976
06-07-2007, 12:51 AM
running without music is just like a date with out a mate :D

hxfailx
06-07-2007, 01:14 AM
I run with music all the time!

ashish1987
06-07-2007, 02:37 AM
rock makes me run !!
it somehow gives in the desire to strive for more and run that extra distance !!!

ashish1987
06-07-2007, 02:52 AM
yeah !!
maybe its the beats that energizes you!!