PDA

View Full Version : Junk food ban planned for schools

Peace_Hope
05-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Junk food ban planned for schools
Press Association
Friday May 19, 2006 8:43 PM

Education Secretary Alan Johnson has pledged to stop feeding children "rubbish" for school dinners.

Launching new rules designed to ban junk food from schools, Mr Johnson admitted that school meals had suffered from "decades of under-investment".

The guidelines mark a triumph for the campaign by TV chef Jamie Oliver to bring healthy eating to schools amid growing concern over childhood obesity. Pupils will be limited to two portions of chips a week and served at least two portions of fruit and vegetables with every meal.

However headteachers warned that pupils would simply get round the requirements by bringing in junk food from outside the school.

John Dunford, general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders, said that a far more concerted effort was needed to tackle the issue of obesity in children.

"The problem of obesity among young people cannot be solved by the paltry £2,000 of additional funding going to secondary schools after the over-hyped Jamie Oliver initiative," he said.

"At the end of the day, schools can offer two portions of fruit and veg with every meal, but there is no requirement for students to eat it. They can still bring in a packed lunch full of crisps and junk food from home. The only way to reverse the obesity trend is through the food industry and through the education of both parents and students."

Mr Johnson, however, insisted that the new meals would prove popular providing they were "more attractive and healthier", and that children and parents were educated about the benefits of better nutrition. He rejected suggestions that schools would struggle to find contractors to provide the new healthier meals.

"If you put the investment in, which we're doing, if you insist on the quality and you insist that our kids can no longer be given the kind of rubbish that they have been given for decades, you will find the contractors," he said.

From September 2008, primary schools will be required to abide by nutrient-based standards which set out the essential vitamins and minerals children should receive. Secondary schools will follow a year later.

ashish1987
06-07-2007, 04:26 AM
this kind of a plan was imposed in my school about 4 years back
especially a ban on aerated drinks needs to be imposed everywhere

anuban1976
06-08-2007, 09:20 AM
yea i second ashish, ban on aerated drinks and junk food is a must. these type of food is almost zero in nutrients.

Vizuke
06-08-2007, 06:41 PM
my highschool already banned junk food and carbonated soda's a few years ago. i remember drinking slushies every day in 9th grade until everything was gone in the 10th grade and nothing was left but water bottles, and juices. chips were replaced with low-fat chips and stuff. i wonder what it is right now? salt crackers?

CoachLevi
06-22-2007, 01:26 PM
My former high school has been banning things lately. I think Red Bull is the latest.

feelgoodhitofthefall
10-10-2007, 07:37 PM
let's hope we don't take a tax hit for this

KickNit
10-10-2007, 08:45 PM
This is all just nonsense. When I was a kid I ate a snack almost every day. I loved fudge brownies. But I was physically active. Today's kids are obese, not because they eat the wrong foods or too many snacks, but because they don't get enough exercise. Their parents are lazy and sedentary so they pick up that bad habit. Instead of taking the snack foods away they should run their asses two miles in the morning right after a light breakfast then two hours more in the middle of the afternoon. Institute a "run to class" policy so that students are forced to get their exercises in.