PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone run marathons?

CoachLevi
05-18-2006, 07:28 AM
I ran my first (and currently only) marathon when I started college. I had the chance to run Boston, so I couldn't pass it up!

Anyone else run or plan to run the 26.2 miler??

moor2k6
05-22-2006, 10:24 PM
First of all, I wasn't the only one to throw down some cash to run 26.2 miles through the streets of Chicago and I mean all the streets of Chicago — the East side, the West side, the North side, the South side, Chinatown, little Italy and on and on. Aside from myself and my dad, 33,168 other people signed up to run 26.2 miles through the streets of Chicago. Every state and 80 something foreign countries were represented. It just happened to be the biggest marathon in North America, quite possibly the entire world; I don't know, but there were a lot of running fools lined up at 7:30 a.m.
So you're early, ready to go, stretched and vaselined. Are you planning on taking a while to complete the 26.2 miles, more than three hours? Then you also may want to consider a water bottle and a walkman as well as over-the-counter pain relievers and caffeine boosters. As Clint Eastwood once said, "a man has got to know his limitations," and buddy, this is never more true than when running 26.2 miles. Now, luckily, the day of the Chicago marathon was perfect weather-wise, and it is also the fastest course in North America because it is the relatively flattest course. You can't beat conditions such as these.
When the weather conditions are less than perfect, when the course is not flat, the pain and preparation time will increase exponentially. Chicago has a great marathon course but lots of people know this, lots of people. To ensure fluidity in the race, officials like to place people by the time it will take them to finish the race.

Rudy
05-30-2006, 08:45 PM
I was training for the Nashville Country-Music marathon last April when I got sick over spring break. Right after that, I got injured, so I wasn't able to run for about a total of 3 or 4 weeks during my training for this marathon. I continued to cross-train, doing mostly biking and a little leg lifting.

I ended up running the 1/2 marathon as healthy as a horse, with a finishing time of 1:29. I was pleased.

As of now, I am planning on running in the full marathon this December in Memphis. If all goes well, that will be my first marathon. I'm seriously considering trying to qualify for Boston in this one - which I feel certain I can do.

moor2k6
06-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Well...ive been running consistently since the start of track season which was the beginning of march....since then its been 25-30 miles a week...i ran all winter until i suffered a knee injury and took off 3 weeks...but thats better now.......this season though we havent really done any high miles...i think the longest run was a 7 miler....weve done alot of farleks and mile repeats early in the season..also some 800 repeats...mile repeats were at 5:40s....and 800s around 2:40.....

forumposters
06-19-2006, 07:43 PM
I don't run for fame or pride, but rather to better my health. I don't think it's healthy to push your limits too much as this can cause injuries. For this reason, I'd never run a marathon.

Lyricb
07-13-2006, 09:25 AM
I've always wanted to try to run a marathon, but as for right now I'm strictly a treadmill type gal. I guess the first step is venturing outside....:o

snake
07-13-2006, 12:08 PM
NO!!!! :eek: It's way too far! :eek:

My training partners run them though, and I train with them, so the big joke is that I train for them and don't run them. Usually I am racing a 5k on the Saturdays that they do their long runs--thank goodness. The furthest I have ever run is 17 1/2 miles in a row, about 2 summers ago. I think that's just far enough. I could have the mental toughness to run one if I chose,:cool: and I definitely have the conditioning behind me, but geez. I could get a lot of shopping done in the 4 hours it would take me to run one, and frankly, I just have absolutely no desire at this point.

Danielle
07-16-2006, 08:26 PM
I definitely plan to run one someday, hopefully in the next few years if things works out right. But, really, if I'm going to run a marathon, then I want to finish in under 3 hours. Right now, though, I'm not even close.

mommyX2
08-17-2006, 10:29 AM
I ran one in my younger years before the children but I would not even think of trying to do just the training for one at this point. I was a great cross country runner in my day and that is when I did the marathon that I did. I didn't place but it was a great run anyway!

mrbill
05-25-2007, 09:19 PM
I have run two Chicago Marathons and am getting ready to train for my 3rd with the hopes of a BQ.

Then, hopefully off to Boston :D

suvi
06-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Not me. Maximum I have gone is 6 miles. I can't do anything beyond that
________
TOYOTA AYGO HISTORY (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Aygo)

werner
06-08-2007, 10:01 AM
I had a coach, who was also my teacher, who ran in the Boston Marathon. He said he didn't place anywhere near the top but it was a personal goal for him to finish, and he did. We were quite proud.no wai! please tell me more!!

werner
06-08-2007, 10:01 AM
I have run two Chicago Marathons and am getting ready to train for my 3rd with the hopes of a BQ.

Then, hopefully off to Boston :Dis BQ = Boston Qualifier?

Why not just say "Boston Qualifier"?