PDA

View Full Version : Best foods after being sick

Peace_Hope
05-15-2006, 08:47 PM
I am just coming back after being sick for 1 week+ and have some very big track meets coming up within the next week and need to get healthy again, and get the energy in my body to allow me to run at my max.

I need ideas on certain foods to eat, and different drinks that will help keep me healthy and allow me to get my leg energy and drive back for running.

Thanks for your help.

Peace_Hope
05-17-2006, 07:27 AM
hmm, milkshakes sound good, got any special recipes?

naidu
05-18-2006, 05:47 AM
Run some salt free nut like almonds, cashew, pistachio in mixer then add any seasonal fruits again run it for a while and finally add cold milk and run the mixer again. I usually drink all juices with out sugar. If you’re looking for more calories add a dash of honey to it.

CoachLevi
05-18-2006, 07:38 AM
I make banana smoothies all the time. Cut up some bananas and put them in the freezer. Then just put the frozen bananas and some milk in the blender, blend it, and it's all set!

And along with fruits and vegetables, I would recommend whole wheat toast and cereal like Cheerios. Should give you good energy without upsetting your stomach.

moor2k6
05-22-2006, 11:16 PM
Hi, I was wondering what type of power bars and/or power gels work best. By this I mean the brand of the bar/gel. Thank you for taking the time to help me!

CoachLevi
05-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Hi, I was wondering what type of power bars and/or power gels work best. By this I mean the brand of the bar/gel. Thank you for taking the time to help me!

The ones that give you energy and don't upset your stomach

naidu
05-24-2006, 12:03 AM
Its better to eat handful of any nuts for instant energy, instead of eating bars and gels. Because these products contains a lots of artificial flavors and colors , which is not good for health.

moor2k6
05-24-2006, 12:31 PM
How do energy gels work?
Fat and carbohydrates are the two best sources of energy found in the human body. Fat is the largest source, while carbohydrate stores lag behind significantly. Carbohydrates, however, provide the best and most readily-available source of energy for the body during exercise.
Energy gels can benefit competitive athletes, recreational athletes, diabetics and anyone else looking for a quick source of energy. They are ideal for sports like triathlons, running, cycling, swimming, tennis, soccer, football….the list goes on and on. In order to gain the performance advantage of carbohydrates, it is recommended that 30-60 grams be consumed per hour during physical activity. This translates into one to two servings of energy gels during each hour of exercise.
For first time gel users, determining the optimal timing and amount of energy gel to take can be confusing. As a general rule, it is recommended the following ‘dose schedule' be used as a guide.
For activity lasting less than two hours:

Consume one energy gel 30-60 minutes prior to the start of the activity
Take a second energy gel 45-60 minutes into the activity (during half time of the soccer match, at the six to eight mile mark of the half marathon, etc)

imbiz06
06-07-2007, 10:48 PM
I think friut and juice wil be better.

anuban1976
06-08-2007, 09:19 AM
fruits, juices, egg, pasta, some boiled cereals, meat if you are a non veggie

vivera
01-26-2009, 10:33 PM
may i ask, does milk help?

Janifer
05-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Yogurt, lots of water, avocado, banana, a bowl of sugar frosted flakes with sliced banana and cold milk.

narayan
05-15-2009, 05:43 AM
Yes Bananas have a natural antacid in them and they are full of protein, vitamins, and minerals. Eat plenty of bananas but dont over do it!! Also, drink lots of water, reason being is it will help with any dehydration you may be suffering from.