PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear sunglasses during a race?

Peace_Hope
05-14-2006, 08:14 PM
A few of the two-miler guys on my track team enjoy wearing sunglasses while they do their race to make them look cool.

But when I ask them if just anyone can wear them, they say that you look dumb, but what does it matter when you win the race.

LOL, maybe they are trying to make a new fashion statement?

Do you wear sunglasses when you run?

naidu
05-15-2006, 05:09 AM
Though I wear sunglasses regularly, I wont feel wearing them during race. Once I tried wearing them but they made me feel so uncomfortable. May be because they are not designed for racers. But I think sunglass manufacturer’s should design some glasses for racers.

CoachLevi
05-17-2006, 08:49 AM
When I ran track in high school, I never wore sunglasses. No one else did, either, now that I think about it.

But I wear them a lot now, mainly because I'm a cyclist and ALWAYS wear them while riding (gotta watch out for bugs and tree branches!) When I started training for marathons I started wearing them because the sun can really take a toll on your eyes when you're out there for hours on end.

It's actually a good idea to wear sunglasses any time you're in the sun for UV protection...

CoachLevi
05-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Actually, there are several different pairs of sunglasses out there for racers...

I have a couple pairs from the Bolle Vigilante series. They're pretty nice, and I was able to pick them up on a super-special clearance sale for $20 each! (retail over $100) :D

RunningJim
05-17-2006, 08:55 AM
I have a couple pairs from the Bolle Vigilante series. They're pretty nice, and I was able to pick them up on a super-special clearance sale for $20 each! (retail over $100) :D

Sweet, you should tell me where I can find deals like this. This summer I really want to be running more often and doing more outside and could use a pair of running/athletic sunglasses.

CoachLevi
05-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Sweet, you should tell me where I can find deals like this. This summer I really want to be running more often and doing more outside and could use a pair of running/athletic sunglasses.
I order A LOT of stuff from Performance Bicycle, Nashbar, and Sierra Trading Post. Performance Bike and Nashbar have great deals at certain times of the year, and STP is all about name brand gear at super closeout prices. I've purchased a lot of technical running apparel from them.

I try to keep some deals posted here: http://bloombikeshop.com/database/onlinemailorder.htm

Also for running stuff I recommend RunBargains: http://coachlevi.com/blog/2005/12/15/my-new-favorite-store/

Hope that helps :)

Jokerz
05-21-2006, 12:45 AM
I wont leave the house without my oakley half jackets, they are realy nice, i usualy dont even notice there on.

RunningJim
05-22-2006, 07:59 AM
Oakley half jackets eh? I have a few friends that have Oakley's but they are fairly expensive.

Do you think it is worth the savings to buy sunglasses of this caliber online in places such as ebay?

moor2k6
05-22-2006, 10:43 PM
sunglasses or hat???
I found these hats online and like the idea for running at late evening and night. I am cautious however because I usually don't run with a hat on. For those of you who do, is it easy to get used to, or should I just carry a flashlight.

CoachLevi
05-23-2006, 09:51 AM
I don't mind running with a running cap, they're light and flexible. It's a lot different than running with a baseball cap.

Jokerz
05-23-2006, 03:23 PM
i absolutly love my oakleys and if you have and are willing to spend 105-160 depending on if you want polarized or not, then i'd look at some. but im sure tehre are many cheaper options

PCWebAdvice
06-19-2006, 02:10 PM
I cannot stand wearing sunglasses while running. Unless I was to buy an expensive pair I really don't even think I could do it. The problem is they move around and irritate the hell outta me.

Riggy
07-04-2006, 12:26 AM
I definitely have to run with my sunglasses on....without them I'm as blind as a bat by the sun! I use a good comfortable pair of holders to keep them from slipping off.

Riggy

Danielle
07-04-2006, 10:54 AM
I haven't run any races and don't usually run in the sun, but the few times I did I liked wearing a visor (those terry cloth kind that absorb the sweat) best. I'm not much of fan of sunglasses when I'm not running, so spending $100 on a pair doesn't thrill me. Besides, I don't know if wearing sunglasses would be comfortable (the sweat just pours off my forehead during runs). For those of you who wear sunglasses while running...how sweaty do your glasses get?

Riggy
07-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Danielle, hi!

When I'm running outside versus the indoor gym track, I almost always wear a hair sweat band to prevent the exact situation of which you were talking. I'm sure if I didn't that I would become blind from the sweat coming off of my head! By reading all of the above, I see that it's a very individualized thing....wearing glasses or not. For me it's not an option....without them I'd probably run into a tree or something!

Riggy:cool:

Riggy
07-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Oops! Failed to mention something in my last post above. My favorites for running are usually my Gargoyle sunglasses. I like the way they are contoured slightly to fit around the side of your face. This seems to give even more sun blockage while running.

Riggy;)

Word2Action
07-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Definitely. I've only had to do it a handful of times, but when theres a lot of sun and tons of fine females at the beaches you u don't wanna give a direct look at, why not! On a more serious note, this helps me focus for some reason. A placebo effect perhaps.

Danielle
07-05-2006, 07:48 AM
I've only had to do it a handful of times, but when theres a lot of sun and tons of fine females at the beaches you u don't wanna give a direct look at, why not!

Oh, come on, Word2Action! These females in scantily clad bikinis at the beach want to be looked at (why else would they be wearing clothing consisting of little more than strings). Take off the sunglasses and give them that 'direct look'. Drooling, though, is another thing...:D

Danielle
07-05-2006, 07:55 AM
Riggy, yeah, sweat bands are nice. Sometimes, though, I'm so fussy when it's really hot...I don't like anything on my head. Those Gargoyle sunglasses sound cool, even when not running. I hate how my regular sunglasses don't have side protection.

eneagirl
07-06-2006, 04:18 AM
I usually run indoors on a treadmill. Haven't needed sun glasses for in door running.

ashish1987
06-07-2007, 03:09 AM
i fancy sweatband in summers
help me wipe that sweat off my face while i run...

stressmom
03-05-2008, 07:37 PM
I want to but they always slide so I tend not to wear them when running long distances.

APAD
03-05-2008, 09:07 PM
I want to but they always slide so I tend not to wear them when running long distances.

You may want to try the Oakley Radars. They come with a rubber jacket on each of the legs to prevent sliding. As a matter of fact, the more you sweat the better they grip.

Hope this helps.

liposuctionguide
05-04-2009, 12:51 AM
people think they automatically become cooler persons by wearing sunglasses.
speaking to people wearing sunglasses sucks.