PDA

View Full Version : burned out

ravs2k6
05-13-2006, 01:45 PM
I am ruuning the London in just under 4 weeks and have been following the Hal's novice training schedule exactly. This is my first marathon

Training has gone really well and then 2 weeks ago I ran a trial half marathon race on the Sunday and then followed the schedule afterwards which included an 18mile run on the following Saturday. This meant I ran a total of 48miles in a week.

The trouble is that since that 48mile week I have been shattered in every run I have done whether its 5 miles or 14 miles and I am now concerned I will not complete the marathon. I am also due to do 20miles this weekend before tapering down for the big one and I am now mentally concerned I will not make it.

My question is was 48mile in one week too much for a novice and am I now all burnt out and overtrained for the marathon and what shall I do about the 20mile on Saturday and the rest of the build up ?

After all this training I really am getting depressed about it all

Thank you

Peace_Hope
05-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Don't worry, you have just worked yourself so that you will be in shape for your race.

My assumption is that you are running this Saturday.

I have heard that the following is a good way to look at the week before your marathon:

Saturday Before Race: 10 miles
Sunday: Rest
Monday: 6 miles
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: 4 miles
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 1-2 (optional)
Saturday: RACE DAY! 26.2 Miles

CoachLevi
05-17-2006, 09:25 AM
I know all about burnout...

Make sure you're getting enough rest during the week. Don't forget that you get stressed from work and other things besides running.

Don't be scared to take some time off. You're better off being well rested than overtrained. Although running a couple miles the day before the race is definitely a good idea.

moor2k6
05-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Burnout Quiz A "yes" to any of these questions means you may need a boost

1. Are you unmotivated to run on 2 or more days per week?
2. After most runs these days, do you feel less satisfied than you had been feeling during the previous 1 to 3 months?
3. When you run a good time in a race, do you skip past the enjoyment of your achievement and immediately project ahead to your next goal?
4. When you run longer than usual, does it give you very little or no sense of achievement?
5. When you have a bad run, or a bad race, do you feel discouraged and defeated for several days or more?
6. Do you often find yourself looking for excuses to stop a run early?

JimOakly
08-12-2006, 01:58 PM
I would start slow and build yourself up. Going straight to the top isnt going to get you anywhere. Your body needs to be slowly pushed and acclimated to the changing stress and activity levels.